Cutting pavers...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PLM-1, Oct 16, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

In the past i have always used my 14" chop saw with a masonry "blade". That ain't cuttin' it this time...literally. It takes FOREVER to cut these pavers.

What does everyone use to cut pavers with? Should i just switch to a diamond blade? They're like $139, so I don't wanna just try and see with it.

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl Ts400 w/ diamond blade

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl TS 400 w/diamond blade and a table saw, Edco HSS14 with diamond blade.

Kirk

4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Two table saws with diamond blades and a Stihl TS-400 with a diamond blade as well. Yes, you should just buy a diamond blade.

5. Redbear

Redbear LawnSite Member

Should be able to find a diamond blade for under $100. It won't last as long as the more expensive ones but you'll see for yourself that they are worth it. No other way to go. I purchased a $100 blade and lasted about 15 jobs, patios and walkway stuff. Now I spend the extra $$.

6. PLM-1

So I guess I will go for the diamond blade...thanks guys. Hopefully this 5 min/ brick to cut will stop!

7. PLM-1

Now i can't get one that will fit my chop saw for less than $200. The one that was $139 was a Dewalt @ Lowe's. Homecheapo had one that would fit but like I said, it was $200. Where is a good place to purchase these at!?

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Use a good diamond blade and cutting a brick should take no more than 15 seconds or so. Thats all.

9. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two 20" table saws, and one 14" saw along with chop style saws, Partner and Husqvarna.

For paver work, we cut boarders with the hand held saws, and for individual bricks, the weapon of choice is the 14" saw, but we end up using 20" saws when pinched. I made the 20's, 23 HP Kohler engine, and a hydraulically driven blade so we don't have to worry about belts.

For pavers, the table saw is the only way to go.

Now, if we are laying tumbled pavers, we use a breaker unless a small part needs to be cut off. 2 seconds and the unit is cut to fit.

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

For a great deal and excellent service on blades email Joe Wizzard,
    www.gardenstatediamond.com

I've been dealing with Joe for 3 years now, he gets my product when we need it, and is very reasonable. I got for example, 6, 14" premium diamond blades,, and a 4.5"x24" deep core bit and the bill was $800.00 with shipping.

In comparison, the local brick supplier charges $320.00 for a 14", and other suppliers in the area are close to the same.

Try him out, he is out of Jersey and really does a good job for our team. He can also get granite tools as well for when we build our BBQ counter tops.