1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Performance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lowe Mowing, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Lowe Mowing

Lowe Mowing LawnSite Member

Last year I bought a 52" Wright Stander. I was thrilled about using it making the yards look that much better, but i had a problem with it. The Stander wanted to leave a little strip of grass right off of the right center side. I went to the dealer who i bought it from and they said they would look at it and try to fix it. Well after the 5 times of taking it in, they finally said they would replace the whole deck. They did and it looks really good now. My question is, has anyone had any trouble of this sort with any of their mowers?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

On a new machine , that is really odd. Sometimes on older machines, I have seen under lap from incorrect blade lengths cause missed areas like that. They couldn't figure it out? Well, at least you have a good dealer who helped to make it right. We run Standers and love them..
  3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, wrong size baldes, do it every time.
  4. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

You would think a good dealer would have
    caught the blade length.

The fact that the deck is fab vs stamped
    makes it possible that the holes for the
    spindle were machined in the wrong place
    Plate could have been fixtured incorrectly.

Only fix would be new deck.

Just a thought from an old Tool and Die guy.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You're right on Teiman. There could have also been a problem with the placement of the deck hangers.
  6. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

Yeah, it could be a number of
    dimensional possibilities.

I work full time designing stamping dies,
    fixtures, gages etc.... (mostly automotive)

It is hard to design a manufacturing system that is goof proof.

As the American manufactures to try to do
    more with less in order to compete with slave labor
    and state owned non-profit steel mills in the far east,
    You will see more and more problems crop up. It is
    getting to be an impossible scenario to produce zero
    defects in todays environment. I like how Wright handled it.

Strange coincidence I sent Wright Mfg a letter two weeks ago explaining what my company does, to see if they need any help.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, this sort of thing is a lot more common than you think, and it's getting worse as time goes on because of the decreasing quality of steel. Basically what happens is that they roll/stamp the majority of these so-called fabricated decks. Most decks today are a single piece of 10 guage steel, stamped/rolled to form the front skirt, top and rear skirt of the deck. Then they put these in fixtures and weld on supports, items, as well as 7 guage sides, and then call'em 7 guage decks when they are 95% 10 guage which can be found on craftsman mowers.

Well anyways, what happens is when they put it in the fixture and weld it up, welding in itself creates stresses in the steel. So what happens is, when they remove the decks from the fixtures, sometimes the stresses will all shift to the weakest point. The result is the deck springs like a jar lid, which causes warps, dimples and twists.

Most of these are hidden to the eye, even substantial ones. So unless every shell is gone over with a fine tooth comb and then put through a final inspection once mounted, these issues will crop up.

So no it's not really uncommon and it causes all sorts of wierd cutting issues. Missing grass although the blades do overlap properly, other wierd cutting problems, streaky looking stripes, poor clipping control and grass handling....

In fact, I've seen guys post stripe pictures on here, and be all proud of their stripes. But I see streaks and know they have an out of spec deck. But they are happy with it, so I keep my mouth shut.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

There are lots and lots of old tool and die guys in this business....................Wonder why? :rolleyes:
  9. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

Imagine how many things you might let go on
    that next lawn if you new there was a Chinese
    LCO on the next lot paying their employees 76 cents/hour
    and got their equipment free from their communist government.
    and fuel at a not for profit cost.

That is precisely what American manufacturers are up against
    today. They still try hard to do good work like you would but
    the pressure is unreal.

By the way "you" is nobody in particular. Im just venting.

Mantec Engineering and Desing Inc.
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Very true indeed.

I used to work for a prototyping company, My part was building prototype injection molds, They hooked up with a company in Korea, They built an aluminum mold and had molded parts shipped to us in 10 days.....................How do you compete with that?
    It's impossible.
    High speed machining centers paid for by the gov't, cheap labor and plenty of it to work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    The tooling part of that company that I worked for no longer exists.