Cutting Quality?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Bobalong, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Bobalong

Bobalong LawnSite Member

I demoed the Lazer Z HP with the 52" deck and the Lazer Z with the UltraCut 60" deck. The 60" did not cut dandelions well - at least not as well as the 52" deck. Both were set at the same height, and the blades were sharp. The dealer was unable to explain why. Any ideas?

Bobalong:cool:

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

No ideas, but I noticed the same thing when I demoed the same two machines last fall. I went with the Lazer HP 52".

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bobalon, Esby

I've got good news, bad new and great news.

First your not the only ones that have experienced this, that's the good news. It's phenomenon that is quite common with many commercial mowers, that's the bad news. It appears that all of the things that make a commercial lawnmower cut grass well can be detrimental when cutting stemy weeds.

There is however a fix. That's the great news. All of the new "Excaliber" blades with the cutting edge extended all the way to the blade bolt do an excellent job on all stemy grasses and weeds.

The new blade is a win win for us because it performs in grass just like the non-Excaliber blade however it does much better when dealing with dandelions. It also appears that the "solid" airfoil blade in the "Excaliber" performs even better than the standard "Excaliber" when dealing with these stemy weeds.

The blade I would recommend for the 52" model would be part number 103-1578. It will definitely make a noticeable improvement. If that doesn't take care of it completely have your dealer double check the deck rake.

Thanks

Terry

4. Bobalong

Bobalong LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry, but I am still confused. I thought all new Lazers are equipped with the Excaliber blades. At least that is what the brochure seems to say.

Also, I am not clear on your statement that " it also appears that the "solid" airfoil blade in the "Excaliber" performs even better than the standard "Excaliber" when dealing with these stemy weeds." What is the difference between these two blades? What blade is standard equipment?

Thanks for your help.
    Bobalong:cool:

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

When I was at my dealer last week, I looked at every Lazer in the showroom, they all had the old notched foil blades. These were all 2002's as they all had the big gas caps. I even asked my dealer for a set, and he looked at me like I had 4 eyes. He said he never heard of them! I showed him one of his 2002 product catalogs, and he said Hmmmm, Very Interesting. I asked him to order me a few sets. He's going to call me when they come in.

Good Luck!

6. eXmark

Bobalong,

The Excalibur blades are standard on many of the 2002 models however much of the early production may not have had these blades. When we first received the Excalibur blades into our inventory we first filled the parts "pipeline" and them production.

The theory being that the older style blade worked fine for the large majority of our customers during the spring cutting season and all future replacement blades would then be Excalibur's. This was also intended to prevent a customer from getting the older design when he may have started out with the Excalibur.

First the Excalibur is available in the 3 different airfoil profiles we have always offered. Those being Notched, Solid and Low lift. The Excalibur blades are identical with the exception of an extended cutting edge. The Notched blade is the standard blade on all of our machines. It is a high lift and has a round notch stamped out of inner airfoil rather than a gradual bend into the airfoil. The solid airfoil is just what it sounds like. It is still a high lift blade but it does not have the notch removed from the inner airfoil. With this design there is a gradual bend from the blade up into the airfoil. The Low lift is a solid airfoil design but it has a very lower or short airfoil.

For use on Dandelions the solid lift Excalibur seams to do the best job. This really comes as no surprise because the solid lift that was available before Excalibur also performed better in dandelions. The Excalibur cutting edge just takes it to a much higher level.

Give'm a try and I'm confident you'll see a dramatic improvement. Incidentally it is also my favorite all around blade. It doesn't discharge like the notched airfoil and it doesn't reduce the dust in drought conditions like the low lift but it is in my opinion the best all around blade.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Terry

7. Glen

Glen LawnSite Member

Terry:

After reading this post about the "Excaliber" blades and the 2002 line up, I looked at the blades on my 2002 Lazer Z (52 in., 20 hp) over the weekend and it appears that they are the "notched" blades and not the "Excaliber" blades. (I purchased the Lazer Z in December 2002. Perhaps if I e-mail to you directly the serial number of my Lazer Z- you will be able to confirm the type of blades that the factory installed on this unit.) It seems to me if all of Exmark's marketing materials that I have read (including Exmark's WEB site) and relied upon indicate the 2002 Lazer Zs have the "Excaliber" blades - then that is what I should have on my Lazer Z. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Glen

8. eXmark

Glen,

With your serial number I can tell you when your machine was produced. If your blades are not sharpened nearly all the way to the blade bolt then you have the standard "notched" airfoil blades.

The blade change for 2002 was what we call a running change, just as are nearly all changes on the Exmark products. What that means is, we try to implement changes as the new parts become available rather than wait until the model year. 99% of the time this is a benefit to the customer because he/she gets a machine that has the latest greatest changes today rather than tomorrow, next month or next year. It gets confusing however when a part is delayed coming into production.

The "standard" notched airfoil blade is going to perform at the same level as the "Excalibur" in the majority of cutting conditions. Are you having a performance issue at this time? The reason I ask is that the "Excalibur" is not always the answer. Please let me know because we definitely want to be certain that you machine is performing at it's optimum level.

Thanks

Terry

9. Glen

Glen LawnSite Member

Terry:

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you tell from the unit's serial number the type of blades installed at the factory? If so, please let me know your e-mail address so that I send to you the serial number. If not, I assume that I will need to take a look at the blades to see if they are sharp to the center (if so, then they are "Excaliber" blades).

Best regards,

Glen

10. eXmark

Glen,

E-mail me with your serial number at terry.eckert@exmark.com and believe I can track it down.

If you purchased your machine in December to be honest I'd be really surprised if it had the "Excaliburs" on it. As I said we wanted to ensure that we were shipping them as replacement blades as quickly as possible and so we used up the "standard" blades in production.

Are you having a performance issue?

Thanks

Terry