1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cutting railroad ties??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by T.E., Mar 6, 2004.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

What have you all found is the best way to cut railroad ties? Thanks, Tony
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Try a chainsaw.
  3. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Tried a large circular(I think it was 12 inch). Was a pain to keep from binding. I also tried a 8 inch and cut it twice, took a long time. I now use a chainsaw and square 3 sides to assure a straight cut-Harry
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The best thing I found is, don't laugh is an electric chainsaw. I don't know why they seem to work better than a gas but they do for me.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If you use a chainsaw be ready to go through alot of chains. the creosote(sp?) will really eat them up. Unless you have newer ones which perhaps doesnt have it.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Same as everyone else...

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

You can try a big circular saw wiht carbide tipped blades. I've tried this and it worked pretty well. A chinsaw is still faster but doesn't give as nice a cut.
  8. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I assumed you were talking about treated 6x6es, we call those ties. The creosote ties are no longer available here, and if I remember right they had a steel S on the ends that prevented you from cutting them. I didn't know you could still get Creosote ties-Harry
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

chainsaw with a carbide chain. it will cut nails with no problem.
  10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

This is not a slam, but railroad ties pretty much look like junk anyhow. So a nice cut is pretty much lipstick on a pig:p. I always steer people away from railroad ties, and even pt 6x6's.

There are a lot of segmental retaining walls that are almost as cheap to construct, and IMO, hold up a lot better. Timber walls always seem to creep in eventually, no matter how well built.