1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting residentials Bi-weekly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutman2000, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

I have several accounts that are bi-weekly and I keep the blade set at 3.25",use G6 blades, double cut the hi end residential accounts and charge more . If you can talk'em into going every 10 days till spring growth slows,that would help the appearance of the lawn and reduce mowing time.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

almost all of my accounts are bi-weekly. i have 3 weekly accounts. weekly is rare here. people just don't spend that much money on their lawns unless they are in really upscale neighborhoods. i always charge more for bi-weekly though. an example is i will do a yard weekly for $40 and bi-weekly for $45-$50. the bi-weekly cuts don't take that much longer to be honest. maybe just a little. it often feels weird cutting weekly yards because the grass is still so short. :laugh:
  3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

well I'm glad that works for you.

but I'm sticking to my weekly schedule. nothing sooner and nothing longer unless a drought occurs. and it's not all that flexible at that.

in the spring it's weekly at the most. in the summer if it doesn't need cut one week you not gonna see me until the following week at the sooniest. none of this 10 day or 4 day bull sheot.
  4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I tried a 10 day schedule with one client last season.
    He didn't want to pay for weekly service, but the lawn was such that waiting 2 weeks was not possible, so I offered to try a 10-day schedule.

What a nightmare. Everyone else was simple - same day of the week whether weekly or biweekly , but this one ended up on a different day all the time which meant that I had to squeeze him in on a heavily scheduled day on occasion. Then when it rained, I could end up being right back at 14 days.

Never again.
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I agree, it's weekly or biweekly. :clapping:

I might change my mind if I were to use some software that allows this type of scheduling. Anyone know of one that includes route optimization.
  6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Software can not control the weather. You can be as optimized as you want, but when it rains hard for several days, that 10 day schedule is ALL screwed up.
    I'm sure there are people who do it. I won't.
  7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Which is part of the reason I do not mind the bi-weekly because they are the first cut to be postponed. If can see a 10 day schedule being useful.
  8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

the only way I see every 10 or every 4 days in an optimized route is if everyone did it. but when you have just a few out of everyone else it's not worth it.

it's either weekly or bi weekly. if you don't want weekly you get bi weekly and pay the added price. there is no 10 day to keep the price down.
  9. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

My customers pay me a monthly rate and I cut when I think it needs to be cut. Mostly it's weekly, sometimes it's bi-weekly (when it's hot and dry). They actually prefer paying monthly rather than per visit. It's easier for both of us to keep track of.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

For me it depends on the type of lawn. Here we have 3 predominant types. Centipede lawns I will allow to go every 2 weeks if they'd prefer. I insist upon a weekly cut on Bahia and Bermuda. If they won't do weekly then I let the job go.

I won't take a lawn if I don't think I'm going to enjoy cutting it. I have to want to do it to get a good result every time.