Cutting schedule info needed.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenBacks, Jan 15, 2007.

1. GreenBacks

GreenBacks LawnSite Member

I am starting a new lawn maint. business this spring. I have lived in central
    texas for a year. The lawns in my developement are tif 419 bermuda as is mine. Here is the question. I maintained my own lawn last summer ( all lawns are irrigated) and ended up mowing 26 times. My lawn looked great. When i interviewd other landscape companies to get an idea of pricing, all of them
    insist on mowing 36 to 42 times a year. The Tif was not installed by the book so the root systems are not like the tif you see on a golf course or football field. What am i missing, unless the extra mowing means extra money.
    thanks

2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You said it best in your last statement....dont cut your self short.....I am sure the guys in your area will have some great advice, but I am thinking in Texas, you should get at least 30 to 35 visit......JMO!

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

for irrigated fescue/bluegrass here in central jersey 26 cuts would be a minimum...more like 30 cause of no skips in summer.

In texas I would think at least 30-35 cuts.

4. Solid

Solid LawnSite Member

I'm in salt lake city with bluegrass, and i mow a minimum 30. I normally end in november, but i have gone into the first on dec. My own lawn i have had to mow 2x's/week in the spring and fall.