cutting schedules-weekly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hustlers, Aug 30, 2002.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

My lawns especially those hit with
    TGCL 46.0.0 this time of year makes
    em grow.
    I m thinking of all my fertilized routes
    to go on 5 day mow schedules
    are most of you
    on weekly-biweekly
    or custom mowed on growing conditions
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Currently on weekly or bi-weekly. Don't touch 10 days. I would consider if it was a real money maker (commercial) or I was full-time and I could fit it into my schedule, then I would not have a problem with it.

3. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Weekly,weekly,weekly. Why break your hump and your mowers up. Weekly mowing is by far better. Don't get me wrong if it doesn't need to be cut one week we will skip it.
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Took me a couple of years to figure out that 10 day and 2 weekers were nothing short of a PITA....especially once you build up a decent amount of weekly customers. For example, last friday I had 8 lawns on my schedule and this friday I had 12...those 10 day cuts had rolled around again. :(

I have no 2 weekers left on my route and only about a dozen 10 day lawns that were left over from my first two years in the biz. Every time one of them "bites the dust" it is a good day for me.

The first thing I ask a potential client is: "How frequently do you want it mowed?" Anything more than a week and I tell them "Thanks, but no thanks" and move on. I turn down a lot of lawns because of this but in the long run I want to have all weekly clients...and nothing else.

I've learned my lesson about working twice as hard for only half the money. ;)
  5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

We decide when and if customers can go bi-weekly. No complaints from them either. They know that we want their lawn to be well cared for and it's appearance is our concern. Some perennial rye customers get twice weekly in early Spring. Ka-ching. :D
  6. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

I may be wrong but I think your asking about mowing more frequently. We have a few customers that insist on mowing twice a week durring times when grass is growing fast. Mow as often as you need to keep the lawn looking neet. Of coarse bring this to the customers attention first, I wouldn't surprise them with an extra bill.
  7. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

weekly is the only way to go!!!!
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i have some right good ,every 2 wk accts. but w the rain like it is now. [heavy]
    we just have to go weekly. they get to spend some o that money they didnt spend during the drought.the real important issue here is my lazer.
    im not putting it under total drag ,all day every day. nothin can take a steady diet off that . but this lazer will if anything willl.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Could Not have said It better. :D
  10. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i only give prices for biweekly and weekly. what i want is all weeklys but when i give a estimate, i ask what type of service they want. if they say biweekly, i just give them the price for biweekly and weekly service. the biweekly price is around 3/4 the price of weekly service, and so far from doing things this way i've had all but 1 or 2 customers change their mind and take the weekly service because it's such a better deal. it they ask why the rate is so high for biweekly, i just explain that it's inconvient to schedule, and the grass will be much taller and take longer to care for.