Cutting slabs around downspouts

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundScapesIncorporated, Apr 7, 2007.

1. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

We have a fairly large patio coming up that will be done in 16x24 and 16 x 16 slabs.
    On this job we have 5 downspouts that we will need to work around. I want to have a very neat cut around these.
    We will be cutting the downspouts above the patio floor and runnin them into sch 40 pvc, so the actual cut will be around 4" PVC so it will be a circualar cut.
    Anybody ever heard of a 5' masonry holesaw bit? Or any other suggestion?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

5" core bit. very common.

Chris

3. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

AHH MY FAVORITE THREAD!
    Well, for any of you that have installed Evening Star Lighting products, you know that a hole is needed in the paver to receive the light. A core drill OR using our Field Install Kit will save you money and allow you to adapt any standard core bit to your contractor's drill. You can easily purchase (or rent) a 4" core bit and drill right on location.

To assist you in your question :
    I would NOT use schedule 40 pipe above grade. Definitely use it under the pavers or patio, but switch to an adaptor and come through the surface with schedule 20. Use a downspout adaptor and you will have a professional finish!. You will need to remove the downspout to install your pipe, then re-attach it. (or you could cut it short, and slide a extension in..and re-extend it down into the adaptor) but that usually looks sloppy.

I'll see if I can post some pictures for you.

4. ChampionLS

Here are two photos :
    One is the Field Install Kit, originally designed for precision drilling into a pavingstone using a hand held drill. The unit has a 5/8-11 thread and can adapt to a 4" bit. You supply the drill.

The second picture is an Adjustable Coring Template, which will allow the core bit to drill easily and not walk across the face. This will only work with 2-1/2" bits but one can be made easily out of plywood for the 4" bit. No centering drill is needed.

See www.eveningstarlighting.com for details on drilling in pavingstones.

-Champ

plfik.jpg

plact.jpg

5. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

Chris I am familar with core bits, but I always thought core bits had to be used with a core drill rig, I was looking for something that would work with a regular drill.
    Thanks

6. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

Thanks for all the detailed help champ.

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen core bits being used with a larger (7" ?) angle grinder. Don't know why you couldn't get one to work on a regular drill- you'd just need to adapt the threads to something the chuck could turn.

8. ChampionLS

You can adapt a Right Angle Grinder to a core bit. Adaptors are available. I dont know about using the water swivel though. You will need to use a dry-bit. It works the same, but with no water. A little bit more dusty too.