Cutting slopes with a ZTR or any mower for that matter...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Is it bad for the engine when cutting a slope side to side? Oil draining from one side to the other... There are some hills you just can't go up and down, too dangerous.

If the concensous is it's bad.. then I'll use my walkbehind for slopes instead of the Z from now on.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

ZTR motors have oil pumps in them. What is bad is using a cheaper 21" with the splash system in the motor. They don't get enough oil spashing around at a sharp angle, this is why commercial guys buy commercial 21" mowers, so you have oil pumps.

3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I imagine it would be bad for the engine but I'm not the one to ask.

Personally if the slope was bad I would use the walkbehind. Wouldn't want to start sliding down a hill and not be able to get away. In case of a roll-over. You would be able to let go and get away from the walkbehind, while you would be stuck on the Z going down with it. Also it's easier to tell when the walk behind is starting to go becasue your on seprate ground.
    Always put your safty before the equipment.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Eric...

I have another question,

My old mower 50" Garvely ZTR when doing slopes sometimes would bog down and let out a big, no I mean BIG puff of white smoke.. What was happening there?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's trying to tell you that the hill is too steep. Oil is running into the cylinder because the incline is too steep for the engine.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

like anything else mowin slopes with ztr takes getting a feel for it.
    ive been using ztr less than a yr. but im beginning to tap the potential . i dont believe id do real steep long slopes though.
    unless you got a nice place to land. :)
    on second thought 6 months from now mabe ill be doing tree work with it.