cutting slopes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carl28, Jul 11, 2001.

1. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

Need some leads for cutting slopes not little bumps but slopes like 35 degrees and up lots of acreage mostly municipal and commercial work.

2. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I have a couple in the 30* range. Mow up and down, not side to side. Watch the turns at each end, turn slow. Don't be in a hurry. If your gut feeling is telling you there is trouble near, there most likely is. The attached photo was taken at the bottom of one of the hills, next time I'm there, I'll get a photo of the hill. Also about 1/3 if the way up is a spring, I mow down through the wet grass and back up the dry side.

Paul

dcp00231.jpg

3. 97Stroker

97Stroker LawnSite Member

Carl,
    I don't know what your running for a machine, but the guy in town here mows for the bridge and turnpike authority. There is a slope on the side of that bridge that must be a 45- 50 degree angle, very sick. He has a new john deere 850, with the bucket and brush cutter. He had special ordered a set of dual rear wheels, which attach to the rear rim with a chin binder type deal. then alotta weight. the set up was like 1500 bucks
    I watch him do it all the time, it's crazy lookin

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you have lots of acreage to cut, check out the Hillsider that Exel/Hustler makes. Looks like a good set up for that.
    http://www.excelhustler.com/

5. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

Thank you Eric this is the kind of info i am looking for any other suggestions would be a big help. I'm talking about large municipal and state contracts that are currently being cut with tractors and bush hogs our local work goes to bid and I am considering venturing out on this kind of work. In addition to several large commercial properties that I already have with large areas of slope.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Carl,
    The machine that will handle any of your hillside needs is the Hustler 6400.
    Call your Hustler dealer and ask for a demo of this machine.
    We would be glad to demo it in your cutting conditions.
    We have a few units around the country just for this use.
    Your dealer can get a hold of his factory rep and get a demo 6400, just keep in mind that he will need some advance notice.
    If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Pj

Hustler@twcny.rr.com

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here is a example of what the Hustler 6400 can do.
    These are pics from a demo I did with a customer a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Lets try this again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

I don.t have a web site ad. but i think the manf. name was DewEze (sp?) looked like a motorcycle with a 72" mower under it that would pivit to match the slope but yet keep you upright. In my area there was or is a distrib. by the name of trim-a-lawn

10. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois