Cutting Sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by craftbender, Jun 23, 2008.

1. craftbender

craftbender LawnSite Member

I want to take up a layer of sod about two inches thick and about two feet wide for reuse. Is there a way to do this with an implement I can hook onto my BX 24. I am talking about a fairly large area. I am an experienced fabricator but don't want to reinvent the wheel. Plans for such an implement would be nice. Any suggestions?

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd probably be better off renting a walkbehind. The first mechanized sod cutters around here were made in a welding shop in Olney, MD, they may still be in business (Finneyfrocks). I think they held one of the first patents, their machine was made of a car rear end, with the axles chopped off and the spider gears welded, to get rid of the differential (closed rear). They then attached 2 arms on eccentrics, in place of the axles. The arms had a bearing on the top , and attached to the cutter blade on the bottom. I have a later version of one of Finneyfrock's 3 point hitch machines, I think it was marketed as the big brute sod cutter. By the way, its way too heavy for a BX 24, its heavy for an older 40 HP farm tractor.:waving:

3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i agree,renting one is the best bet.unless you do enough business like that to buy one.

4. jvdowling

jvdowling LawnSite Member

WOW! Have a little history. I worked for Dudley Finneyfrock in the late '60s and early '70s and built the "Big Brute Turf Cutters" with Dudley. Yes, they were very heavy, with 3 concrete weights on the rear. The shop's Ford 9N would pull wheel stands if you were not careful. We had to add weight to the front. Your description of them is very accurate. When I moved to Maine in June of 1973, I had just finished building the last turf cutter he ever sold new. He still maintained parts for repairs. I often wonder if any are still in use. They worked very well in rough or rocky soil. I knew of several people who broke their wrists using the "Ryan" model small sod cutters.
    Finneyfrock's closed a few years ago a couple years after Dudley Finneyfrock died. It was the oldest continuously operating business in Montgomery County, MD, at 117 years.

5. DiyDave

I bought a couple repair parts for my Big Brute, from the old man, must have been late 90's. Sorry to hear the old man passed away, it was quite a unique business, that he had there. Oh well, It's not the only one to die in MD, where our state motto is, If you can dream it, we can tax it!

6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would just go rent a sod cutter, then "Get Er Done!". The time spent trying to make one work could be weeks. Rent, Cut and return...quick and easy.

7. DiyDave

Bob, This thread is a couple of years old, don't know if you looked at the date. I actually have purchased a turfco kisscutter, since it started! Anyway you are right, the O.P would do better to rent that little kisscutter, it is light enough to load into a pickup, by yourself, and will cut enough sod in a day to work 3-4 guys real hard, keeping up with it.:laugh::laugh::waving:

8. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Has anyone got a picture of this Big Brute Turf Cutter, Sounds interesting. I know they are not made anymore but would be interesting to see.