Cutting sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by QC Lawn Services, Jul 9, 2004.

1. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Folks, we have done some small landscaping jobs, i.e. planting flowers, mulching beds and weeding, but we recently had the opportunity to get a larger job that will require a fair amount of flower bed creation. We want to "work smarter, not harder" and are looking for suggestions on how to remove the sod and some of the underlying soil the quickest and easiest. A shovel is my current weapon, but there has to be other tools or ways to do it better. Thanks for any help
  2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a sod cutter. I rent Bluebirds all the time. Around $40 for 2 hours. They are very well worth it and you will save literally hours of work compared to doing it by shovel.
  3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

As I found out today a mini track loader will rip right through it and you can then load your truck as well.
  4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Rent the sod cutter, you will not regret it.

If the job is large enough and you can "or the customer" can afford the rental of mini track loader, then go that route. That way you will only have to physically handle or pick up the sod one time when you have to empty the trialer.

I bought a used Ryan sod cutter from a local rental company for $500.00 two month ago and it works great. I will have it paid for by the end of the season hopefully, but for that price and in great working order I could not pass it up.

Just get the sod cutter and have your beds cut up in a couple of minutes versus a couple of hours and a lot of blisters later.

Good luck