Cutting St. Augustine Grass In Florida

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by snyco762, May 25, 2006.

1. snyco762

snyco762 LawnSite Member
    from Fl

We live in Florida and have St. Augustine grass at our home.
    The grass is very thick. We are looking at MiniFasTrak 17/42.
    Home site size 65' x 135'.

Can the MiniFasTrak 17/42 put a good cut on this grass
    with one pass?

Because the grass is very thick, Will the weight of the mower
    leave tire groove?

snyco762

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The mower will cut the grass fine, as long as its dry.

The unit may leave tire marks, hard to say unless you drive it on the grass, likely though you will not notice them.

3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

the mft will cut the grass w/o a problem. i have a 17/42. it is a hoss. regarding the weight, you will likely see some tracks immediately after you cut. however, if you compare the weight of the mft to the competition and then look at the width of the tires, you will see that the mft has a wide tire for its weight. this gives a low ground psi.
    one other thought is that you should alternate the direction of your cut each time. left-to-right one time, then up-and-down. try to avoid the racetrack pattern of around-and-around. it will take a little longer this way, but that is the beauty of a zero-turn. its efficiency in stopping, starting and turning.
    go ahead and take the plunge. i swear, grass cutting will no longer be a chore. it will become fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You shouldn't have any trouble at all cutting St Augustine. Just remember to cut no lower than 4" in the summer and maybe 3.5" in the winter. I mulch all of my ST Augustine lawns and have no problems even when the grass is wet from dew or rain. I'm using a Super Z 28/60