Cutting steep burms( any advice?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LP, Feb 2, 2003.

1. LP

LP LawnSite Member

Where i'm from it is hard to find aggresive tires for the walk behinds and a weed-eater is out of the question has anyone had much exp. and would you be willing to offer some advice, keep in mind I do not want to damage the turf and I dont mind spending money to cut back my time any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

For my steep berms I use a FLYMO hovering mower(Husqvuarna). I find it to work well if there is good weed-free grass there and you need a consistent cut. The mower will hover and can be swung back and forth from side to side to cover a wider area than a trimmer.

3. I have about 600 yards of steep burms that u would`t take a mower up for a million bucks. I go out and cut them with my stihl takes about 3 hours with 2 guys goin at it . its tough but I charge time and a half for it.

4. rebel2002

rebel2002 LawnSite Member

Hustler 6400 is the only way to go if you can justify the expense. We have one and we are the only company within 60 miles for some contracts. The machine is 6 wheel drive and operator and engine sit on hydraulics which are controlled by a mercury level switch. It is a joy to run and I feel it has saved my life on several occasions. We cut a commercial account that is a mile long and the berms are 30-45 degrees and 40 feet high at he tallest point. people driving down the road always slow down to watch. There are other machines such as the deweze but i trust my hustlers over anything else. PS You might find a good used one on traderonline.com or on hustler's classifieds

5. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

How much money can you justify for this mower to do the berms, and how big and how steep are they ?

Why don't people ever give all the perameters when they ask these open ended questions - how can you get good answeres unless you let us know what all the limits and problems are ?

6. LP

LP LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help! And yes as I stated earlier I can justify the money. I did a search and found a 6400 about 5 hours from me, its used but stated in new condition. How well do they do as far as scaring the turf and can you utilize them for open field cutting or are they dedicated hill cutters, how fast on open cutting and so-on? How much should I expect to pay for a used one v/s new? Thanks a million for the advice!!!!!!

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

8. LP

LP LawnSite Member

Gene,
    Thanks for the link, they realy seem to be good machines, Do you or does anyone have any exp. with these units? There does not seem to be a dealer any where within a 1000 mile range of me. That could be a problem!

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have two friends that each have one with a front flail. One is new the other is used. I have seen the new one work, its nice, TT90 I belive. I belive the importer is in Va. some where.

Gene

10. LP

LP LawnSite Member

Gene,
    How much do they sell for new?