cutting stone

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by atlantic, May 22, 2005.

1. atlantic

atlantic LawnSite Member
    from NL

I recently bought a home. The landscaping wall was not completely finished. I want to finish capping the wall. I haven’t done this before and I was wondering what type of tool I should use to cut the concrete capping stone. ie. A concrete blade on a circular saw or a brick cutter. Also I don’t know if there is any easy way or a method to working out the angles to cut the stone to form the corners. the pictures below may help describe my question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. atlantic

atlantic LawnSite Member
    from NL

anybody???

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You can use a circular saw with a diamond blade or rent a block cutting saw(one that's wet)to cut your angles.
    just lay the block on top of the wallskip a space,lay another block on the other side then one across the top and mark it,then cut it. No problem you should be able to do it ok.Looks like the one in the first pic is tighter than the 2nd one mabey there is no drainage behind the wall?? I would dig the soil out of the top blocks 1st then refill them with gravel.The wall in the 1st pic is not really cut to well so try not to go by that.See pic for marking method...Hope this helps you.

4. atlantic

atlantic LawnSite Member
    from NL

exellent..thanks so much...

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Using a circular saw with a diamond blade specifically for cutting stone will do the job with a couple of caveats. The last time I bought a stone blade it cost about $70.00 and I have used it on 3 jobs and it still has a lot of life left in it.

1) Be prepared to make multiple shallow cuts - going deeper with each pass - to complete the cut. You can fry your saw if you try to cut stone as if it were a 2" x 4" (to say nothing of killing your forearms). It's also much easier to cut curves (for future reference) using this technique.

2) I would trace the underlayer (the more triangular shapes that form the curve) like doing a tombstone rubbing - charcoal briquet on newspaper is a really easy way to do this. Then use the newspaper as a template to mark your stones for cutting. This will allow you to handle and re-handle the capstone material less and still get a great fit.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

rent a cut off or table saw