Cutting thru pavement

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenone, Jul 10, 2006.

1. greenone

greenone LawnSite Member
    from ontario

I am quoting a job on a commercial site. I have looked over the site and see that the irrigation line(s) will have to go under a large piece of pavement. I am looking for advice on this. Do I quote the job and have them look after the pavement part of the job? Or do I contact a pavement company and sub contract it out?

2. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Have done both. We've rented asphalt saws & laid our pipe & then hot patched it (& didn't do a very good job of it). And, we have subbed it out. From my experience - do yourself a favor & sub it.

Rob

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Why not go under and run a sleeve . Thats why they make missiles or dirrectional bore machines .

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We cut through an asphalt drive just the other week. Its pretty cheap and to rent a saw, and once you cut it it pries up real easy.

Remember to compact it evenly in lifts when you backfill the sleeve. We subbed out the patch work.

MD: sometimes shooting under asphalt is risky. Also, directional boring is expensive here ($8/ft)

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Eight dollars a foot to drill , send them my way , its almost 20 dollars a foot here . Shooting a missile under has its risk , but the benefits generally far out weigh the risk

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Submit estimates on both sub-contracts (boring vs. cutting/patching) and let the owner decide.

7. greenone

greenone LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Once again, thanks for the advice!!:canadaflag: