1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting tree circles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Robert Burnham, Nov 10, 2000.

1. Robert Burnham

Robert Burnham LawnSite Member

What you found to be a good way of cutting tree circles. I have about 165 two to three year old ornamental and evergreen trees to do this to, grass has grown up around each tree. I need about a three foot circle cut around each one to meet the greenbelt owners specs. thanks
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I rented a bed edger to do 100 tree circles. It took about 2 hours. I charged $5 a circle. This is what the machine looked like http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/
  3. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Bob, I have seen ads for these but never observed one in use. Are they easy or difficult to run? would I have to take a rocket-science class to run one? I am really curious because they give the edge that I need. LOL Just curious any info would be great. Cost?
    Thank you
  4. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Cost for new = 1400 to 1900
    Cost to rent = 45 per day
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

They are pretty easy to use. It has a triangular shaped blade. The wide part of the blade is at the edge and grass border. And the pointed part of the blade is aimed toward the tree. To use the machine you pull it backwards.
  6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Are the beds already there or are you making the circles for the first time?

Is a bed edger only going to outline the circle's edge, like it is called an edger. I know some one does make a bed edger that has a longer horizontal blade for cutting turf back a little farther but, if more turf closer to tree than it would take alot of time to keep going around to make a 3' circle.

I would think a actual turf cutter would do better if there is no exsisting bed. I use a Quail kick type sod cutter and edger for this type work, so I never have needed or used a actual edger, but 165 trees would wear you out kicking, for sure.

I had a mailer sent to me a while back showing a tree circle cut and mulched in 5 minutes. I think it was a small steerable sod cutter, heck maybe it was a bed edger. Anyway, I think it was from Turfco. Not sure if they have a web site.
  7. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

For those who want to buy or rent one...DO IT. These machines have saved me so much labor and my crew a lot of fatigue. A few things to keep in mind. 1- Know how to replace sprinkler heads WHEN you run over them. Ive had mine 2 yrs and I have had to replace 3 so far. 2- When going around established trees I do the following. Paint a cicle, spray w/ round up and then edge. If you just edge w/o spraying or remove the turf the edger will just churn up the grass and it will regrow in the bed. 3- The bed edger will find any stones or debris in the soil. The blade will stand up to them, however big roots 1" plus will have to be worked around. Finally when working around steeply sloped berms it'll be a good idea to come out 1' from existing mulch line. Reason being that the debris housing will dig into the side of the berm leaving a shallow crappy edge. Over all this is a great machine. Goes thru clay, stoney soil and fibrous roots. By the way if any one is curious about blade changing, they cost 150.00 but have not had to replace mine yet.