cutting under weeping willow tree

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kalyeah, Jun 1, 2004.

1. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any lawns with weeping willow trees? I have a customer who has one and it's a you know what to mow under. I'm always catching the branches in the wheels of my walk behind. I don't want to do any damage to the tree either. Anyone have any helpful techniques or tricks they would like to share? Thanks in advance.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Trim up the tree.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. It should all be trimmed up. It looks better, and is much healthier for the turf and landscape. I have two in my yard, and they are a mess.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We cut them about 6" off the ground every few weeks, it only takes a few minutes.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

be careful of those. I once had the front end of a mower picked off from the ground from those willows

6. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

ive got the same problem with one costomer i think he went a lil nuts with the weeping willows in the back yard their must be 15 of em in a half acre and were they arent there is weeping cherries , doesnt want em trimmed so whatever the ztr clips "ohwell"

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one customer that had many low hanging shrubs. I've been battling with her for years to let me trim them. Every week they would beat me to a pulp. It's not a $$$ issue, she is loaded, but she tells me she likes them to grow out. Finally this year, I told her if SHE mowed the yard once, she would let me prune them. She got the hint, and I got the green light to trim them.

8. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

and also have you seen the mess they leave beind in fall its like they drop all the new growth , i had to use a power rake in the yard to get the twigs out of the turf

9. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

We have one in our yard and it is the prettiest tree on the block. Although, it is a pain to mow.

10. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, wow 15 makes me feel like I've got it pretty easy now. Anyways, maybe I'll see if she'll let me trim it up a little bit off the ground.