1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Uneven Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddco, Mar 23, 2001.

1. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

I have a 1.5 acre lawn that is level but has lots of small dips and bumps. Nothing deeper than 3-5 inches, but it looks like it'll be scalp time with a mid-size wb.

My dealer is pushing me toward a Exmark 36" fixed deck wb. I'm leaning toward the 48" floating deck wb to save time. Can any of you pros offer your advice?

I'm not a commercial mower, but I'm sick of the junk normally sold to homeowners.
  2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A 36 inch walkbehind normally doesn't scalp that much. I would go with the floating deck. Although any walkbehind would scalp at the hands of some people. So it will just take some time to get use to whatever you do get and know its limitations. If its time you want to save, definetly go with the 48, bigger is better. :)
  3. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

will a sulky or proslide work on a bumpy lawn, or will I get tossed on my a--?
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I just posted you an answer in the homeowners forum. I can ride my sulky in rough terrain and never have any problem. Sometimes it is easier on the body than the Lazer. A proslide would probably be too rough though.
  5. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

Thanks, I appreciate the help. It's hard to find info on mowers except in glossy brochures. Don't trust them too much.

You mentioned a personal preference for Kohler over Kawi. I was leaning the other way after poor-experience with the low-end Kohler in my Scott's tractor (homeowner version). Looks like Kawi is becoming the standard for Exmark?
  6. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I have both floating and fixed deck mowers, and I swear I see no difference in the cut, and I have had no problems with scalping using the fixed deck...(Toro 36's 44's 48's 52's)
  7. why not just get a couple of yards of topsoil delivered and fix this problem? nice weekend chore. and then you can get as big of a machine as you want and have reduced scalping problems?
  8. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

A Kawaski is probably a better choice,but also look into how well the dealer can service it.Also if you plan to use it in the winter DON'T but a Kawaski,they are hard to start in the cold.Buy a kohler it it will be used in the winter.
  9. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Go kawasaki all the way. I am sure those who have apprehension have only used the older 12.5 and 14 hp engines. The new v twins are quiet, powerfull, no vibration, and yes, easy to start even in cold weather. Also, go with the floating deck, not much more money and better longevity and cut.
  10. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Raising the height of cut will eliminate scalping. I have a customer the has a lawn like yours or worse. I cut it at 3 to 3 1/2 inches with a 36 and sulky no problem. Also, the raised height covers up the dips and holes in the lawn.