Cutting very steep area's (large)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 11, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

My fellow competitors just got a new machine. I don't have anything to compare. They are nice guys and just got a contract to cut the grass at the dam. It is about a mile wide and 250 ft high (vertically). Sorry I don't know the brand name, I'll ask them if I get a chance. The bank on the dam is very steep.

1 006.jpg

1 007.jpg

1 008.jpg

2. tacoma200

This is what they will be cutting

Wolf creek dam 2.jpg

3. Ven-Track?? I've seen those but don't remember the name exactly. It's a lot of mower for that size of a deck.

I never thought an articulated mower was too good on slopes. But that one's built low enough to be stable.

4. tacoma200

I can remember when I was young they mowed it with tractors that have extended axles? and the tires were really spread out. I can't give specifics because like I said it was years ago. This new machine was the talk of the town for a few days with all of us that cut grass. Just thought I would post it. They are pretty nice guys. I have gotten them work that was over my head and they have returned the favor.

5. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

That looks like a "Power Trac" brand, similar to a Ventrac or Steiner, but actually larger, their slope mowers have 45 or 60 HP diesel engines. Check out their website. Google search "Power Trac Mowers". Razorblades.

6. Which one of the lakes is that ?

7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Lake Cumberland, I think. Pretty sure.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

They are called Power Trac. We have a competitor here that uses one but they have a loader and other attachments. They don't mow with it.

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Wasnt there an article in one of the turf mag. we get from this site recently about these kind of mowers? They featured some new dept. in the states that got a couple of these machines. Looks like a fun machine to drive on a steep bank.

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hope they are getting a S#!+ load of money for that cut. Gotta pay for the new mower! Hope they didn't under cut to get the mow job and make it up on bush trimming or mulching!

M