Cutting Weeds with mower...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieNC, Jul 17, 2006.

1. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

Do any of you have this problem??? When Im cutting weeds with my mower....so many times it either doesnt cut the weed or just cuts it in half. Its annoying and looks like crap. My blades are sharp so that's not the issue. Any suggestions??? Im cutting at 3"

2. Daddy Joe's Lawn Service

Daddy Joe's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

i had the same problem when i cut the city grass in my home town if your blades r sharp just take it slower r raise
    the deck higher and cut i twice:dizzy:

3. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

Yup, if the blade is sharp, cut slower and/or 2 times, and cut them more regularly. Old tough growth is harder to cut the first time than soft new growth.

4. Daddy Joe's Lawn Service

Daddy Joe's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

u might want to re sharpen the blades after the cut the next customer might like it when some of the grass is laying over not cut. r carry and extra set:)

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

RAZOR sharp blades, go slower and proper deck pitch. Those are the keys and you'll still have a couple of stringers. Looks like an opportunity to sell weed control! Then you can sell overseeding and fert.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of mower,engine, deck combo do you have? Are you using high lifts?

7. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

Well Im using Gator Mulchers....with a mulch kit on a 36"....should I put the high lifts back on with the mulch kit???

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Has this problem been worse recently? Right now, we NC folks (and so many others) are cuttin' a whole lot of bahia grass. This is the warm season grass that's really tough to cut, then 3-4 days later, the foot high stalks with their "pitchfork" seed heads are back up again. You usually start seeing this around the second or third week of June until summer's end. Thank your NCDOT folks for it.

If this is the case, drop the deck some. It's a warm season grass and should be cut short anyway. When you drop the deck, if you've got the horsepower, it should be actually easier to cut. Good Luck. We're all fighting this grass.:)

9. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

Thanks man!! It seems alot of the yards I cut the shoots on these dang weeds dont cut all the way....so i guess lower from 3 to 2 1/2" ?? I didnt know if it was the Gators...but man it sucks. Then of course you get a few customers complain about it.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mulch so I can't say for sure. I know the brand name Gator blades by Oregon are not made to be used with a mulch kit. I have been told this by several on Lawnsite that this is the case. Ask around and maybe experiment with other blades maybe. Lot's of LCO's on this site know alot more than me about mulching. Good luck.