Cutting wet grass......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Logan's Landscaping, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Logan's Landscaping

Logan's Landscaping LawnSite Member

Wanted to know what you think of your mowers in wet or tall grass .I have 2 Giant Vac 36' mowers and one 44' Toro that all cant do crap with wet grass. it just comes out in clumps and fills the bottom of the deck. I see other company's in the same conditions and they don't look to be having the same problems.A few of them use Wright standers and Exmark ztrs. Should I look into one of them. What other walk-behinds would you recommend that might do better.

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of factors need to be considered other than "he is using brand-x"

Type of blades used
    Mulching deck/side discharge deck
    Engine Power versus Deck size
    How sharp the blades are

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what blades are you using? if your using gators, you get tons of grass turds.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Hi lifts or super high lifts are the best blade for wet grass. You may also want to experiment with running doubles and see if it helps.

5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

what do you consider wet grass / morning due grass, or cutting in the rain wet .i cut all year down here ,and because of the humidity the grass always seam kind of wet . most of the time no problem cutting damp grass ,both exmarks have there mulch system ,and all i use are OEM mulching blades ,they seam to work the best over any other blade type for me .but in June full growth season and beginning of our rainy season ,nothing works its just a freak-en mess ,both mowers clog up fast and have to be cleaned out ,even Pam doesn't help grass from sticking ,only helps in scraping the grass off ,i can live with the one month a year .when i used the stander it was mainly side discharging so it never really clogged up put it would throw out clumps when very wet. a friend of mine has a scag 61 inch and side discharges all the time and he clams to never have a problem on wet grass

6. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

PLain and simple.....Grass should not be cut "wet". Those who have NO flexability in their schedule will tell you otherwise.

:cool2:

7. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

I wholeheartedly agree if you have no room in your schedule you should start a second crew,even if it is a part time crew WET GRASS SUCKS!!! :help:

8. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Good advise
    Thanks,
    Dave :waving:

9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

What if it rains for 12 or 15 days straight, do you not mow for 2 weeks or more then? I think its funny that so many people are afraid to mow in the rain :waving:

10. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

That's only because you are from BC. :rolleyes: