Cutting when it doesn't need it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALBsun1, Jun 24, 2005.

1. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

I don't have anyone on an annual contract, I just cut as needed, whether it be weekly, bi weekly, depending on the lawn, season, customer, as this is a part time job for me. What do you guys who have people on contracts do when it doesn't rain for a month and nothing needs to be cut. Say you have a contract for 21 mows or however many it is, do you cut anyway, or give them a credit towards leaves, or something. If they are paying monthly, i guess you can just collect and not have to do anything? How does that work, and do you get a lot of complaints if no cut is needed?
  2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i just go there, trim a little, edge and either charge them the full price or half.

i'd never get people that call me only when THEY need it cut. you end up getting the slobs, cheapos, and the lawn will be knee high. that's just my opinion.

it's a part time job for me too.
  3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I go anyways. If iits biweekly it gets done if they are weekly I may let them skip 1 week here or there but if its bad when I go its charged more. If the grass doesn't need to be cut I usually run over it fast just to clean it. Pick up any trash, pinecones etc. Trim as needed and blow things off. Just basically clean it up a bit. I make up for the easy weeks on the bad ones when grass grew 6 inches in 7 days
  4. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

It would depend on what is going on in the lawn. Ideally (which rarely happens) you are supposed to cut only a 1/4 inch or less. If the lawn is green and healthy, all you will really be doing is manicuring the lawn. Make the stipes stand out more if stripes are present. If you notice stress in the lawn, yellowing for instance and the lawn does not really need to be cut, leave it alone and let it grow. On an contractual stand point, I have written that I will mow a lawn a maximum of X times per month based on the lawn's needs. Most of my customers are OK with me skipping weeks if I go out and pick up limbs and remove any debris from the walks and grass. It also helps if a customer has a problem with you skipping a week, explain to them what is going on with their lawn and why you want to skip a week. Most customers do not understand that yellowing grass means stress or other problems. Inform them and be honest. As far as prorating the contract or refunds for missed cuts, I do not do that. Usually during the year you have mowed enough to make up for missed cuts during the summer. For instance, the last mowing year ran late and I mowed more than what I factored in for the customer.
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I word my contracts to say $X is how much it's going to cost you for me to maintain your yard for the entire year.

I do NOT break it down into.......

$X for mowing
    $X for leaves
    $X for trimming shrubs

They pay me monthly I do what is necessary to maintain a healthy maintained yard, that's the end of it.