Cutting Winter Rye

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luv2fly, Dec 1, 2005.

1. luv2fly

luv2fly LawnSite Member
    from ATL

I'm helping my sons' baseball coach take care of his field. Winter Rye was planted a couple of weeks ago. Its starting to pop up through the dying bermuda. How high should I let it get before I start cutting it? The bermuda has not been cut in 3 weeks.

Luv2fly:) :)
  2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Mow it when it needs mowing. Don't let it get ahead of you because annual rye is a pain to mow when it's tall. It clumps up terrible especially in the spring.
  3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Sharp and I do mean really sharp blades. What a messy gooy mess.
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is annual Rye, you may want to strangle the fool that spread the seed! I've seen the stuff grow in excess of 1 foot per week! If that is the case, mow it twice a week and pray that there is no rain. Otherwise be ready to stop every two feet and unclog the mower. The only thing that crap is good for is stopping erosion. Perinneal Rye, different (nice) story. . .
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

One of the neighbors to one of my jobs spread winter rye, yes winter rye down here in florida...must have figured he would be doing his neighbor a favor and spread some seed on his side...right? Whata bunch of junk that crap is. The grass just gets flattened out by the rear wheels and wont cut for sh!t.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Planting the perenial rye in Florida works really nice as a green covering over dormant bahia. Now mowing it will require fresh blades and some patience, maybe even a 21. Might be the limpest grass ever.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The 21 did a nice job when I went over it to get to the back yard, a limp grass for sure.