1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutworm control in ornamental beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JLC, Jul 14, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

What is the best way to control. Customer has impations in the beds. They are being eaten off at the ground, chewed through at the stem. Customer applied Diazinon two days ago and watered in. She is still finding new damage and worms are still present. I have Mach II and it is labeled to control the worms. Should I make an application or wait for the Diazinon to work? Help appreciated.
  2. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I would wait awhile to see if the Diazinon kicks in, also I would find out how long she has been using Diazinon in the beds. If she has been using that product I would switch products and see if that takes care fo those pests. I've herd of pests buiding a resistence to pesticides.

What kind of worms are they?
  3. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Thanks George, this is kind of what I was thinking since she only applied it 2 days ago. I am not sure the exact kind of cutworm. This is my first year doing this and I have the turf stuff down pretty well, but I am not that knowledgable when I get into ornamentals. The worms are about 1/16-3/32 diameter, about 3/4 long. In doing research I know this is their principle feeding stage and that in a few weeks the feeding will stop as they prepare for their next stage of growth.