cycle stop question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Aug 7, 2010.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a system that runs off the house 3 hp well with tank a switch. I am not sure why its a 3 hp because nothing on the property requires so much water. As a result the pump cycles constantly because the geo thermal is tied in to this and only requires about 7 gpm on the low end and the system is using 25 gpm. I estimate the the well is capable of 40 gpm+.

So my question is what would happen if a CSV that is rated below the max output of the was installed? say one for 25 gpm because there would never be need for more.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

i wish i new more about pumps.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What is the pressure required for the sprinkler system? Since most adjustable cycle stops are based on pressure-reducing valves, they will have high flow capacities.

4. greenmonster304

Maintaining 60 lbs would be fine
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. hunterpreferred

hunterpreferred LawnSite Member

convince the homeowners to install a constant pressure pump. It will meet the high and low demands

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the well/pump can push 40+ gpm, it ought to do 25 gpm with pressure over 80 psi, so that would work with an all-brass adjustable CSV ~ maybe the well guy can confirm the performance, or supply you with info you can check online.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree with Boots; the adjustable brass CSV or Cla-Val are the way to go. Plastic versions are junk.

8. greenmonster304

it would have to be the brass because its going in the basement and I am told the plastic ones drip a little.

9. greenmonster304

they had the well guy out to look and he told them about that option but they got a little scared of the $3000+ price tag.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad,that would have the real way to go. :dizzy: