Cyclone rake and Z???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Feb 12, 2007.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Have any of you used a cyclone rake with a z? I am curious how well it worked and what hints you have for using it.

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I have, but not commercially. I'm a homeowner who believes that in the long run, it's cheaper and better to buy good equipment, so I have a Lazer Z HP (52" & 23HP Kawasaki) that I use with my Cyclone Rake. I'm in the 3rd year with the CR, and haven't had any real serious problems. But the boot-plate hardware originally provided to hook up the hose wasn't right. Didn't turn out to be a problem though, because their customer support was excellent and they provided new hardware that did work ok at no cost. They have probably resolved that issue by now, so I don't think that will happen to anyone else with a Lazer Z. It's a little klutzy operating the pair together when turning and one has to be careful near trees or other immoveable objects, but you get used to it quickly.

The Cyclone Rake brochure shows photos of lots of different tow machines in use by their customers, and there seems to be a lot of ZTRs in use. I think it would work out well for you.

3. brudot

brudot LawnSite Member
    from CT

I use a commercial pro behind a Ferris 1000Z. You do have to be careful around fixed objects and be thinking all the time. It's easier to maneuver behind the Z than a tractor. It is also not the quickest thing to trailer unless you have plenty of room on the trailer. It does brake down easily but you still need the space to put the sub-units. The CR does a great job. You might be interested in another post I made. (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=166388)

4. sildoc

Yeah I responded there. I had a similar set up, that is why I bought it in the first place. Got a heck of a deal 400 and only used 3 times.
    Now I am in the market for a Z and was going to get rid of the cr and get a leaf loader. but if it will work with a z it might save me tons of time in the fall on some larger properties.

Thanks for all of your responses.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I will agree with the other 2 post. Best thing I ever purchased, a great combo

wayne

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Hustler Super Z 66" 28 efi which I use to pull a commercial Cyclone Rake it works great. I even cut shrubbery and throw the clippings out in the grass then cut it with the Super Z and let the CR pick it up, now you are talking about easy and fast. It is cleaned up and unloaded before you can even get started with a rake.

7. sildoc

I have used the cr to pick up clippings out of beds just was a pain to jimmy rig my wb to run it back and forth. I guess it saved a lot of time but trying to load anything on the trailer when you have that big a$$ cr on it is a pain.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Alot of days this year I carried 2 mowers and My CR, I had to breakdown the CR and fold it up between jobs, I could do it in 15 minutes and not have to be in a very big hurry......just steady

wayne

9. sildoc

I am looking at the lazer hp 48/23 and was wondering if your CR when full ran your machine or if the machine handled it well. My only concern is I have a couple of properties that have tons of leaves and they all slant towards the river. Not the ideal place to have a z end up. I am sure it will handle the CR now but when it is full of wet leaves I am unsure of how it will handle.

10. sildoc

15 min for 2 guys is 30 min total. I guess I might have to have a special trailer set up for fall to run this. that is a ton of money at the end of the day.