Cyclone rake or Dr leaf vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURBAPPEAL NC, Dec 22, 2005.

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

the Cyclone rake is a few hundred dollars cheaper right now but that plastic blower mulcher part worries me, how does a piece of plastic mulch? Any input would be nice. thanks!
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

it "flexes" (it's not plastic either) it wont bend like a normal impeller. i have heard nothing but good about it. go with the cyclone rake you'll be glad you did

thats the one im leaning towards i heard good things about it when i used to come on here, but just wanted to check on that peice that looks plastic anyways. I cant see any edges on it im just baffeled on how it works, but i trust info from this site so if you guys say it works then Im going with the CYCLONE!

i wish they made something that sits on the back like most baggers that also vacuums and mulches. For better manuverability.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I guess I was the only person on LS that hated that thing! It is totally useless if your yard has a lot of obstacles and shrubs. Also useless if you have low hanging limbs. Imagine trying to drive a 15 passenger van or small bus around a yard and thats what it was like. Mine was over 13 feet long hooked to the mower. Now if you are doing a large open property would be alright. I did not use it long enough to see how long the impeller would hold up, sent that dam thing back where it came from.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

HeHeHeHe... that was my concern about them also...

On the V/S topic though, I was just looking at the DR stuff for the first time in a long time the other day. To be honest about it, the DR vac looks better rather it is or not. Personally, I think I like the 6HP Premier model better than the 7HP Commercial. Same warranty, 29" shorter and rides on caster wheels.
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I like my Exmark QDS dump from the seat a lot better than anything I have used so far when I have to ughhh bag a yard. The first 10 minutes I used the Cyclone rake I tore the hose lose from the top twice, got stuck between 2 trees and knocked the AC unit off its foundation.:mad:
  8. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I have had one for 8 years it's just the home owner model it is one tough unit!!
    once you get used to the tail swing it's the only way to pick up dose
    good for bagging grass but I don't use it for grass that much.and the way it hooks to the mower it won't jackknife when you backup. The impeller won't brake even if you pick up walnuts,sticks and rocks.Go with the Cyclone you won't go wrong.
  9. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

there is no debate here, the Cyclone is worth every penny. And unlike DR, you can LEGALLY hook it up to a zero-turn mower. Cyclone sells an H-bar hookup for zero turns mowers so it can't jack-knife at all, and DR won't do that. They won't even sell you their unit if you say it's going on a zero turn and if you do put it on one, it violates the warranty. I hook our Cyclone up to our 27hp, 60" Dixie and all that volume still can't plug it. Often times I just drive it slowly thru piles of leaves and it even takes that and wet ones too. At 350 gallons of shreaded leaves it's unreal how much that machine can put in one load. We run gators on top of that in the fall so it's like 10:1 when it's on the back. And the hose for sucking up areas you can't get with the blowers works awesome too. The only part that took getting used to was how long of an outfit you are, but if you are blowing out the perimeters like you should be, you'll rarely get close enough to even care. Best fall cleanup tool aside from a huge street vacuum you could ever buy

Do you guys think that the pro model will be ok for me? i only have a 34" deck. The size of the commercial model worries me a little. I was thinking since its only pulling from a 34" deck 6hp should be good enough and save a little money and possibly manuver better. I wish the y could put the 7hp hiflow impeller on the mid size container. thanks for your input