1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cyclone Rake or Factory Collection System???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by westernmdlawn, Apr 2, 2005.

1. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn LawnSite Member

I am considering the purchase of either the commercial Cyclone Rake, or the John Deere Collection system for mounting on my JD Z-Trak 737 zero turn mower (rider, not a wb). I've already ordered and viewed the demo tape that Cyclone Rake sends you if you ask for it. It is impressive. I've heard alot of good things about it. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these units and could tell me your opinion. Also, does anyone have experience with the JD collection system? The dealer wants like $1800 for it I think. The down side (as far as I can see) with the JD unit is that the impeller fan is pony driven off of one of the blade pulleys. This means that it will be robbing the mower of mowing power so the fan can be powered for the collection unit. The Cyclone Rake has it's own 7hp motor with a big flexible 5 blade impeller. What do you all think I should go with considering that I am mainly interested in using whichever unit I buy for the following purposes:

Grass collection when mowing high end lawns that require collection (bagging)

Leaf & debris clean-up (the Cyc. Rake has hoses that will suck stuff out of beds too)

I'm leaning toward the Cyclone Rake... :help:
  2. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a collection system for my 737 and it sucks it is built like a home owners bagging system it works for a while but if you use it every day in the season dont exspect to get more then a year out of it. Maybe they have built them better then 2 years ago not sure hope this helps, I just ordered a acceleator hope that will work for me, cant wait to try it out.
  3. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn LawnSite Member

Steeley, do you mean you have the John Deere made collection system for the 737? How much did you pay for it?
  4. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

Deere is developing a new bagging system. My area dealer did not have any details as to when it would be released, etc as of about a month ago.
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just installed my JD power-flo system last week, cost me 1550. out the door
    took about 2 hours to install, snow just melted off last weekend so have'nt tried it yet.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I guess Im one of the few that had the Cyclone Rake and hated it. Forget using it around obstacles and any yard with lots of bushes and yard ornaments. When it was hooked to my JD133 was over 12 feet long. Try pulling that thing around a yard. I like to tore mine up trying to maneuver around my yard with it. Also if you go under a low hanging limb watch out! I will say it vacums great but you better have a BIG open yard to use it in. You can do a search on cyclone rake and see the comments on it including mine. I never owned a piece of equipment that I hated more than that thing. I was able to get my money back though even though I went past 30 days. Their customer service is great.
  7. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Yes it was a John Deere collection system, it would hold I think 9 bushel, I had problems with the belts spinning off and with the blower system falling off when you went over a bump and the bags ripping every month, I dont know why John Deere cant make a commercial bagging system
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You can look at this from Trac-Vac The 1060 42 bushel bagger.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Or this Rigged mount . It will handle like the cyclone one you are looking at. Its 16 bushels.

10. Zartmans Lawn Service

Zartmans Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Hey western mdlawn,
    I have a 717 deere with a deere catcher and your guess is right it robs power from the mower. It works ok for leaf cleanup and short grass, I got it at the end of last season last year so I'm not sure how it will be in high wet grass.