Cyclone Rake Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Newb, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Newb

Newb LawnSite Member

I was considering buying a cyclone rake and i have a 3 wheel ferris mower which is about 9ft long. Combined with the cyclone rake the setup would be just about 15ft long. Would this be too long of a setup for residential accounts? Has anyone ever had this setup? Any thoughts on a alternative bagger? I would apreciate any feedback.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You would be better off getting a lawn tractor like on there web site. If not you can get a accelerator side bagger and extension. you can even get the jrco transporter and tub to expanded the baggers capacity. i have done this setup on a 60" turf tracer and it worked well.

How many bushels does the cyclone hold???

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

15 feet is long I think. I have the pro model hooked to a tiger cub and its around 13 feet long and its kinda tight in alot of places. What Ive done is instead going into and area and turning around, you go in a pickup leaves in an area and then back out because its so long.

John Im not sure on the gallons to bushel conversion but the pro model holds 465 gallons I think (400 plus I know). If I had it to do over again, I would of purchased the mid size unit, they make 3 and I got the biggest, almost too big for doing commercial work

wayne

4. John Gamba

from ct

Thanks Wayne. You can put 9 bushel's in the jrco tub and 8 bushel's in the accelerator jumbo and jumbo extension side bagger. thats a total of 17 bushel's.

The cyclone rake is in gallons that i will have to calculate into bushel. Dont you have a problem with the zero turn mower turning and this thing getting full??

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yes the mower doesnt respond very well when the CR gets full, you really have to work the hydros alot to keep it going straight

wayne

6. John Gamba

from ct

I dont think its recommended for a ztr. You might want to look at getting a lawn tractor and put some gator blades on it.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For Newb, John's suggestion sound like a winner, because you have so much deckspace to put that tub on. The only thing you will have is frequent (very frequent) emptying stops - for heavier grasses and/or materials.
    Another option you may want to consider - if you're thing about a collection system for that style of mower, would be the Trac-Vac unit that is designed specifically for the front deck 3 wheelers (model 455). Here's the link.
    http://www.trac-vac.com/

8. John Gamba

from ct

the one problem with the trac-vac is the wheel mark it leaves. If thats not a problem look at it.

Good morning Joe

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

a gallon is a hair more than 1/10th of a bushel.....

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL. You have to remember - we're talking about a three wheeler, so the wheel marks aren't going to be THAT much of a loss, anyway. These things don't put down the most handsome:rolleyes: tracks anyway.;) That is why mine (older Gravely) is seldomly used, and when it is,...it is used in back, inconspicuous areas. I'm not sure, but doesn't the wheel of the catcher rie in the path of one of the outer drive wheels?
    ...Good evening, John!:waving:

Nope..as I look at it,...I guess it doesn't.