Cyclone Rake questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I just got my info pack, and have not yet watched the video. I just passed by a guys house that had one, it said commercial on the side, so I assumed it was the top of the line... Anyway, He has a couple acres and had dumped at least 15 times. I am assumeing this was all at one time, but I could be mistaken. I looked at the piles, and they were all pin oak leaves, and were not broken up much at all. The leaves were nearly in tact, or maybe halved or quartered. I have read where it makes the leaves the size of coins, or like dust. I wonder if it depends on leaf type, like soft maple leaves compared to oak leaves. Does anyone have any experience with the cyclone rake and pin oak leaves?

Also, how does that power unload feature work, is it real slow going?

Any other thoughts appreciated.

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and have noticed w/ one set of gator blades pin oaks are not real compacted compared to all other leaves but last year I used doubles and everything was real packed it was just too thick and a little stressful on the loader and would often get clogged in the chute. However, that has not happened this year w/ one set of gators and that is well worth the loss in compaction since it is a real pain when the chute in the truckloader gets clogged.
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

you must have a low HP truck loader.i found using a mulcher blade or a gator that the leaves are really chopped up in the CR.sometimes your going to get whole leaves in the ultra vac on my exmark does the same.the power unloader just hooks onto the CR and u vac the bag out works fine and depending on what u have in the bag (more grass than leaves) it can be slow going because it does clog up at times
  4. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think that I have a low HP truckloader, its 16hp. Its that the leaves are so compacted and my mower sometimes picks up so much off the ground like dirt that it is alot of real thick debris. It takes about 4-5 minutes to unload one full load from the CR into the dump this year. Loaded about 6 fell loads Friday from one site took about 35-40 min. Not bad, how long does it take the other way?
  5. klineslawnkaren

klineslawnkaren LawnSite Member

I have a Commercial CR and I have found that it depends on the type of leaves how much it chews them up. Pin oaks not as much as maples. I have really packed my CR with leaves to the point I have to put a rake in the cart and "rake" the leaves out of there. I have the dual wheel set up which helps weight distribution and ride of the cart. I am really happy with my machine. I looked at Trac Vacs but the CR was best fit for me. I like the fact that it folds up, has dividers in the cart (optional), and is hard mounted and extremely light weight. It backs up like a dream and once you get used to the wide swing its not a big deal even on a small yard. :)