cyclone rake xl can anyone give a review?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I would love to hear a review of the New Cyclone rake XL model. It looks like it would be a beast compared to the other models. Anyone use a CR to blow mulch? I have never read where anyone has used it in this capacity.

Thanks

2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

aLL I KNOW IS I JUST RETURNED THE COMMANDER MODEL. (sorry for the caps) It was over 12 feet long and was a dust factory. I had to shut it down twice because the dust cloud was so thick. Give it a shot you have 6 months risk free. May be it will work better for you.

3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks Matt

I take it your total length was 12 foot mower included. Did you have it mounted on your Toro? Did it perform well other then the length? I can imagine that thing whips around with some serious velocity on your turns.

I understand it will be long, but I imaine you can not fully understand how long and cumbersome it is until you use one.

Did it tear up turf on turns? I have a fear that when loaded it might really tear up tender grass.

Any other input would be great.

4. Matts lawn care

from MD

I ordered the commander and got the classic. I had it mounted to my cub at the time. I smacked a few or a lot of things. Lets just say it takes some getting used to . Turf tearing was not bad at all. One thing I noticed is when it is empty with the pro wheels they flop back and fourth. The vacuum was good but I did still experience some blowout. It was extremely loud but they have new engines now. with the 6.5HP engine i used the power vac pickup was so so I clogged it twice. Just ask me and I will tell more. I was going to try it with my toro but the hose from the engine to the mower was 1ft short.(not their fault) If you have 1+ acre propertys I would say give it a try. One thing I wish they would compare there models side by side in there video. One thing I liked was the ability to suck up the leaves and not just blow them around. If you have a small setup you could use the XL for a truck loader.

Instead of the cyclone rake im getting a 10hp walk behind blower, leaf plow and another back pack blower.

5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

bought one and so far have not been able to finish a yard due to the 7.0 Briggs motor has a hot no start problem been to shop twice so far 2 coils do not know what is still going on with engine works great when it works only thing is you really need mirrors on your zero turn when hooked up to the cylcone rake .twj

6. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Shadybrook,

I am not saying this to give you a hard time but do a search on cyclone rake. I have written quite a bit on it (as well as many others) and don't want to rewrite what I already wrote. To summarize it I would not want to do leafing without one ever again.

Take care, Ed

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I am glad to know that I was not the only one who sent one back, I despised that thing with a passion!

8. Matts lawn care

from MD

I had to rethink my strategy. Just look at any fairly large lawn care crew. They use backpack and walk behind blowers. Then they tarp into a trailer. You just need at least 2 people to be efficient. If you are going to get a Cyclone rake don't waist your money for the power vac pickup. Just blow out the beds its much quicker.

9. Shady Brook

from Indiana

ealbertson

No offense taken. I have read every post where "cyclone rake" was mentioned. I have a pretty good feel for the basics of the machine. My initial post was asking specifically about the "XL model" with the 9hp motor. It has 70 percent more suction according to the companies literature. I wanted to know if anyone could give input on that unit. Of course I am happy to read any other comments about the rakes performance even if it is not the XL model.

Matt

I have read before where people did not use the power pickup much after having bought it. I take it is because it does not have enough suction. I would think it would be great for widow wells, landscape beds, and around obsticals. I wonder if the bigger unit would be better. My fear is dragging around that 32 foot hose, and transporting the whole shabang on the trailer without having the tubes fly off into traffic.

10. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't have much luck with the power pickup hose either. You may be right though with the bigger motor it may do better. I would get it and try it. What do you have to lose with their return policy anyway.
    Take care and good luck,
    Ed