Cyclone Rake?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jayhox, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

I have about a 5.75 acre lawn with a lot of trees and consequently a lot of leaves. I have a walk behind Billy Goat lawn vac, which works well but is not enough. Can anyone give me some advice for some lawn vacs that attach to my riding mower? I have a 61" Ferris Z, so that rules out a lot of models. The Cyclone Rake can be pulled behind a Z and seems reasonably priced.

Comments and advice are appreciated.

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a cyclone and like it a lot. The only thing is that you will be dumping it often.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

The Cyclone Rake:angry: was the only piece of equipment that I ever owned that I hated with a passion (and I was the only one on LS too)! If you are doing a wide open area with not a lot of bushes or yard ornaments it is ok. If your yard has a lot of obstacles or LOW hanging limbs you will come to dislike it quickly. Hooked to my basic rider it was around 13 feet long, and a Z is bigger than a JD 133 rider. I will say their customer support is great though if you have a problem or need help. BTW, that BS that it will not stop up, wet straw or leaves will clog that baby right up or it did mine. I am much happier with my Exmark bagging unit.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Jayhox,

QualityLawnCare4u is right about that. It is a very cumbersome piece of equipment. Do not expect to make any tight turns. I still like it, but it is not ideal for every situation. I don't use it on most of my lawns, but the ones I do it works well.

5. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

Are there better options?

If my yard is fairly expansive with trees but few low hanging branches (ie, not much tight maneuvering needed), is it fair to say it would work relatively well?

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

I think it would be o.k. in your situation. I am not to sure about ferris and its ability to accept after market products, so I am not really sure if there would be a better product for you or not. I would say that it is not the best vac available but for the price it is not bad. I think that is why I like it. I got mine for $300. For the money it has been a great investment for me.

I feel like I am driving a fire ladder truck when I use it, but hey it gets the job done.

You may wind up feeling the same way as Quality, but I think it will get the jog done.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I feel like I am driving a fire ladder truck when I use it, but hey it gets the job done.

That is a good way to word it! I called my school bus. Jayhox, like I said, if you have a wide open area it will work ok. If you have a lot of low hanging branches get the saw out! I tore the hose loose on mine twice in the first 2 minutes I used it and knocked the AC unit off the foundation trying to turn the "bus".