1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cyclone Rake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Sep 16, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

How long did it take for you guys to receive yours in the mail...I need to place my order soon for fall cleanups
  2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Got mine last October. Took less than a week to receive it after phoning my order in.

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

what mower do you use it with (I will use a 27HP Dixie ZTR) and how do you like it?
  4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

What is aCyclone Rake and where can I get one? Is there a web site?
  5. The Captain

Try www.cyclonerake.com That is their site. This unit has a place but, bewarned, they aren't cheap and they aren't for everyone.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

What happens to the Cyclone if your mower picks up a rock and blows it into the chipper. Looks like a high maintenance piece of equipement to me.
  7. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a Trac-vac, nothing new their. Looks like a homeowner piece of equipment to me. I'll take my Walker with the GHS system. It can't be beat for fall leaf clean ups.
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

No more then any other collection system would be. In fact, possibly less since the cyclone rake uses a special material for their impeller (not a chipper). It's not metal, so it won't crack or dent like a metal impeller could.
  9. The Captain

I've put half a brick through mine (buried under a pile of leaves) and had no damage. A lot of noise and a handfull of gravel sized brick pieces was all that happened. Used it the rest of 2003 with no problems and ready for this year. They're tough little units, but like I said before, they're not for every job and not for every one.

Mo Green and Cheyman1....check your Private Messages......Jim
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is one of the most unique plus features of the Cyclone, is that the impellar is made from a hard elastomer material that is more abrasion-proof than steel and actually gives if it hits something hard, then goes right back to it's original shape. While this material is expensive, it has been used in the mining industry for several years to move crushed rock. I finally got to see one in action, and I think I'm sold. This guy was cutting long thick grass with leaves mixed in, and he was HAULIN' it on his mower. This thing was sucking it up with no problem. He has an Ultra-vac, too, but said if he was going to buy another vac unit, it would be another Cyclone. The capacity is just too much of an asset. Also, the weight factor is completely different, because you're not hauling all the debris weight on the weight of the mower. He said by the time you take the weight of a ZTR, add the vac unit, front weights, then fill the hopper or bags up with material, you really have to watch what you're doing, especially on damper or wetter lawns. There is just too much potential for rutting. With the Cyclone, the unit is completely seperate and doesn't weigh nearly as much.