cylinder head stripped...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnmaniac883, Oct 25, 2005.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Was replacing some rocker arms on a buddies old proline today. Get to last one and of course, it had to strip out on me. So, I suggested drilling and tapping to the next larger size thread. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

MAybe heli-coil it. To move up a complete size is gonna be taking alot of metal out.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I second the heli-coil idea, Less chance of further problems and you may not be able to get a larger screw in the rocker. (you didn't state which engine)

4. lawnmaniac883

Engine has non-adjustable valves in it. True that a larger screw would not fit without being drilled. Now to go about installin a heli-coil, I have to re tap the hole then torque these things in? Never used one before, so instruction on the topic is appreciated.

5. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

You get a Heli-coil kit. It comes with the right sized drill, then you tap with the included tap. Then you screw in the heli-coil with supplied tool. Then your threads are new again.

The kits come in all different sizes, see a good auto supply store.

I would like to add that in all my heli-coil experiences I have had 100% success!

6. Restrorob

Just a pointer, When installing the coil with the supplied tool put a SLIGHT steady pressure on the tool at all times while twisting and hold the tool centered with the hole, They can jump a thread then you have another problem.

7. lawnmaniac883

Sounds good fellas, is this gonna be found at autozone or do I need to order online?

8. Restrorob

You can check there or NAPA is where I get mine.
    Good Luck

9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea on the Helicoil... I always put a lil Loc-Tite red on the insert... that way if I ever have to remover the bolt, the insert wont come with it. Also if its a closed bottom hole, that is shallow, you may have problems with out the proper bottom tap.