Cylinder hone

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lwcmattlifter, Jul 5, 2006.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What do you prefer for a small engine cylinder hone? Ball brush or 3 stone style? I have always had great results with the ball brush but I can't find one small enough for a chainsaw. Anyone know who sells small ball brush hones? Should I just go with a 2 or 3 stone brake cylinder hone?

Matt

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

To be honest it usually isnt worth honing a two stroke cylinder out, just buy a new jug and be done with it if you have a name brand saw i.e. stihl, echo, husky.

If you do hone it out, make sure to replace the ring(s) at the same time.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Honing a small 2cycle cylinder will only create blow-by, much like running a handheld with no a/f and sandblasting the side of the piston. You will loose the piston to cylinder wall clearance that the manufacture created. I see this in my shop alot, guys will toss the dirty a/f and run the unit for a while before they remember:hammerhead: to purchase a new one. Then when they try to run it with the new filter they don't develop full rpms. Just went from a cheap a/f to an $$$$$$$$$repair or in some cases(dumpster:cry: )

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Matt, A ball hone will not work on a 2 cycle engine. The balls will get caught in the intake and exhaust ports and tear it up. I'm with MM on honing a saw or trimmer.

5. lwcmattlifter

from NC

I wanted to freshen up this saw before I use it to clear some land this fall. The saw is old and a little down on power. The cylinder looks good, no grooves or scratches on the cylinder. I wanted to give it a new piston and rings and hone the cylinder to put the cross hatching back on it. A new cylinder is over $300. Humm.... I really hate to put that kind of money into a saw that I only use a few times a year.

6. mith

mith LawnSite Member

I honed out some scores in a Stihl chainsaw engine with a 3 arm honer. Saw works OK.
    What have you got to lose?

7. lawnmaniac883

A 300 dollar cylinder?

I would just throw in the new piston and rings and see how she runs. No cense in honing a cylinder if it looks o.k. What kind of saw is it?

8. lwcmattlifter

from NC

Stihl 066 Mag. Yes, a Stihl cylinder is $300.00. I'm going to give it a try. Worst case scenario I have to buy a cylinder and another set of rings.

Matt

9. lawnmaniac883

10. lwcmattlifter

from NC

I saw those kits and I thought about it since this is one of those occasional use saws. The only problem I have with that kit is the country it's manufactured in and their quality control standards.