1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cylinder hone

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lwcmattlifter, Jul 5, 2006.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What do you prefer for a small engine cylinder hone? Ball brush or 3 stone style? I have always had great results with the ball brush but I can't find one small enough for a chainsaw. Anyone know who sells small ball brush hones? Should I just go with a 2 or 3 stone brake cylinder hone?

Matt

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

To be honest it usually isnt worth honing a two stroke cylinder out, just buy a new jug and be done with it if you have a name brand saw i.e. stihl, echo, husky.

If you do hone it out, make sure to replace the ring(s) at the same time.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Honing a small 2cycle cylinder will only create blow-by, much like running a handheld with no a/f and sandblasting the side of the piston. You will loose the piston to cylinder wall clearance that the manufacture created. I see this in my shop alot, guys will toss the dirty a/f and run the unit for a while before they remember:hammerhead: to purchase a new one. Then when they try to run it with the new filter they don't develop full rpms. Just went from a cheap a/f to an $$$$$$$$$repair or in some cases(dumpster:cry: )

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Matt, A ball hone will not work on a 2 cycle engine. The balls will get caught in the intake and exhaust ports and tear it up. I'm with MM on honing a saw or trimmer.

5. lwcmattlifter

from NC

I wanted to freshen up this saw before I use it to clear some land this fall. The saw is old and a little down on power. The cylinder looks good, no grooves or scratches on the cylinder. I wanted to give it a new piston and rings and hone the cylinder to put the cross hatching back on it. A new cylinder is over $300. Humm.... I really hate to put that kind of money into a saw that I only use a few times a year.

6. mith

mith LawnSite Member

I honed out some scores in a Stihl chainsaw engine with a 3 arm honer. Saw works OK.
    What have you got to lose?

7. lawnmaniac883

A 300 dollar cylinder?

I would just throw in the new piston and rings and see how she runs. No cense in honing a cylinder if it looks o.k. What kind of saw is it?

8. lwcmattlifter

from NC

Stihl 066 Mag. Yes, a Stihl cylinder is $300.00. I'm going to give it a try. Worst case scenario I have to buy a cylinder and another set of rings.

Matt

9. lawnmaniac883

10. lwcmattlifter

from NC

I saw those kits and I thought about it since this is one of those occasional use saws. The only problem I have with that kit is the country it's manufactured in and their quality control standards.