Cylinder, One or Two?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJL50, May 25, 2006.

1. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer said one model Toro I was looking at he felt it was a little under power because it only had one Cylinder. It was a 18Hp Kohler. The model he said was better was the 19Hp Kaw. with two cylinders. Can someone explain to me why motor with two cylinders is going to be so much better than a single cylinder model when there is only one HP difference between the two?
  2. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

The two cylinder will be a smoother running engine,and
    more than likley have a longer life:weightlifter:
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow a 18hp is still being made? As stated above though the twin cylinder will be smoother running and quiter.
  4. DJL50

I understand smoother but not how 1hp is going to be so much more power for me than the "underpowered" single cylinder
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you must look at the torque. Go with the engine with the best torque. The briggs 17.5 has only 26 lbs while the kohler 18 has 32.1. I could not find the torque of the 19 kaw but i would bet it's lower than the kohler.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here's the torque on the 19 Kawasaki ; Max Torque 37.0 lb-ft (50.2 N-m) / 2400 rpm

I would say the 19 Kawi. would be a better choice.
  7. khouse

with restrorob's torque specs on the kaw it's is clear cut. go with the torque - kawasaki
  8. DJL50

I was looking at the like mower by Exmark the model CT. Their 48" unit has a twin cylinder Briggs Vanguard 18HP. What is the torque for that model? ( Here comes a dumb question) Is torque and displacement the same thing? If so the Briggs has a displacement of 34.8. How does this engine compare to the 19hp Kawi which has 37.0 of torque that is on the Toro Estate mower?

My point in the question is. All I want is the 48" deck mower so I can get it through my back gate. The Toro estate 48" has a single cylinder Kohler which the dealer said is underpowered for that unit. So that puts me with the 52" Toro with Kawi 19hp twin. Now I see the Exmark 48" (same as Toro for the most part) has the twin Briggs. Am I spiting hairs here? Are they about the same in the end?
  9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have used a twin and single cylinder, i prefer the twin as it is smoother, but my kohler command pro will outlast the twin briggs
  10. khouse

torque is not displacement. torque is twisting power or leverage. usually in direct porportion to the stroke. it's like you putting a cheater bar on a wrench to break loose a stuck bolt. your not any stronger but you increased the torque and the bolt come free. i had a 18 hp wisconsin engine on a 88 inch heckendorn mower and it pulled it just fine - it had great torque.