d.e.p. just wants your money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LJ lawn, Oct 17, 2000.

1. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i just read that article on the tree co.that got smacked with the big fine.here in jersey anyone can take the test and get certified.you can either take classes -credit (for extra$$$$$) or re-take the test in 5 yrs.the test costs $$,the yearly extortion fee (oops! i meant license) costs $75.00 each one. one for the business one for the operator,and i have to pay more $$$$ on my insurance policy.(all this to try to compete with chemlawn).it seems that they have a new person in charge now who's trying to make a name or something for themself and has been calling all the landscapers in the area for an inspection.i've even heard of one guy getting a fine for carrying a can of wasp spray in his truck! they've also been going around and knocking on doors if they see a flag on a lawn and want to know who put it there etc. I have a REAL problem with an agency that under the guise of "protection" wants to extort all the hard working landscapers who have to pay all this money just to apply some TRIMEC, when the average joe idiot homeowner who doesn't know the first thing about pesticides is the one they should be going after.if they were really concerned for the general publics "safety", they would pull ALL the stuff off the shelves at the local home depot.(not just the DURSBAN) and the only ones that would be able to buy the chemicals are the pro's. ANYONE AGREE??

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said, I couldn't agree more! By the way when the guy at Home Depot now recommends Diazinon instead of Dursban do you think they will ask if any kids will be playing in the yard that day or if they have a pond in the back yard?

""I have a REAL problem with an agency that under the guise of "protection" wants to extort all the hard working landscapers who have to pay all this money just to apply some TRIMEC, when the average joe idiot homeowner who doesn't know the first thing about pesticides is the one they should be going after.if they were really concerned for the general publics "safety", they would pull ALL the stuff off the shelves at the local home depot.(not just the DURSBAN) and the only ones that would be able to buy the chemicals are the pro's. ANYONE AGREE?? ""

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I had a customer two years ago that did her own fertilizer. She had a bag for 15,000 sq.ft. and ranout doing the front yard of 4,000 sq. ft. because she didn't know there was an adjustment on the spreader. I was supprised the grass didn't all die. It turned a yellow musterd color.

4. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a widow next door to a customer spreading Dianazon out of a bag with her bare hands across the lawn. I went over to ask what she was doing, and she told me that her husband always "fed" the lawn in the fall, and that was what she was doing. She had no clue as to what she was putting down. I tried to educate her a little, but she just thought I wanted to sell her something.

5. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

LJ Lawn, I am not sure I get your point. One minute you are talking about the 'extortion' for your licence, and then you are saying that you want only pros to do applications. What in your mind are the qualifications of a 'Pro'? I have no problems paying for a licence or extra insurance, because I like to think that I am a professional.

Does the AMA 'extort' licence fees out of doctors? If we want to be treated as professionals, we have to be willing to incur some small regulatory expenses (and come on, it's only $75.00 a year).

I do agree that most pesticides should be applied only by licenced, insured professionals.

Alan

6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

to put it another way,first of all,i don't feel i should have to pay to be licenced when the chemicals are available to everyone (general public)who wants them,and the fee isn't just $75.00 it's $75.00 EACH licence so i have to pay $150.00 )one for me and one the business) plus more on my insurance policy ,so it's closer to around $500.unfortunately i can't afford to compete with chemlawn,lawnranger,scotts,etc,these co.'s buy in so much bulk and use liquid fert + have millions invested in advertising (brainwashing the public).so that when all's said and done my profit from doing the small amount of fertilizing that i do is close to nothing.if the EPA banned all the chemicals for sale to the general public and the only people who could purchase them were the people who have the license i probably wouldn't have a gripe about it.but the constant harrassment and big brother attitude they project toward the ligit operator is out of line.i feel it's just waaaay too much of a hassle to deal with all the fees,paperwork,audits and regulations they impose on us-the ligit operators ( you know the people who had to take the training to learn how to use the chemicals safely) we should be the least of their worry. it's only because we make money on it,and they want their cut.

7. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

O.K. LJ, I can see your point now. Where I am you do not have to have two licences. Each applicator has to have a licence, and the business has to have a Service Approval (Has to be inspected, yada, yada, yada), and must have minimum liability insurance.

One thing to keep in mind about the pesticides though, is that the product that the general public gets is usually at least 50% less concentrated.

I believe that the city of Halifax is experimenting with a ban on pesticides unless licenced. It sounds like exactly what you want; only licenced pros will be allowed to spray pesticides for 'cosmetic' purposes. If I hear anything more about it, I will let you know.

It also sounds like the EPA guy in your area is a wannabe cop on a power trip. Has anyone complained further up the chain of command? Enforcement of that type is counterproductive to the whole idea of licencing and regulating.

Why not try and use the advertising of the big boys to your advantage? In much the same way where I am, the two big companies are beating each other up for volume. They have done a very good job of convincing the public that liquid fert is the way to go. Maybe try slotting yourself into a higher price market that the big boys cannot afford (or want to bother with) to service properly. Charge more, but do less apps, you'll still make more money as long as you put down a better product and service the customer better. Keep in mind that if you drop your price by 10%, you have to do 25% more business just to be at the same level of profit! Cliche time: Work smarter, not harder!

Alan