1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

D*mn Dodge Tranny

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnsRUsInc., Feb 20, 2005.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Well great day plowing i am just having loads of fun ;) Well I have a dodge ram 1999 3500 dually diesel 45k miles and first year with plow only used 4 times. Just today the engine felt like it was getting kicked in and out of overdrive only at 38-42 mph if i railed on it which i baby the truck it would be fine. If i maintained speed at 40 mph it would go from 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm fairly quickly. Please help ME :confused:

2. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

You need to go to the TURBO DEISEL REGISTERY WEBSITE and look under tranny trouble. I think what I have heard is there is a governor in the tranny and that needs to be replaced. Maybe $200 bucks. It is a common problem. Mine is a 99 with 75K on it with no problems. Use it daily to haul my Bobcat skid and excavator. Also keep an eye on the fuel lift/transfer pump. Monitor your fuel pressures with a gauge on the inside of the truck etc. Just check out TDR and you will find a load of info.
    David

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is there a switch so you can just shut off the overdrive until you get it figured out?

4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Your not suppose to drive in overdrive under speeds of 45 mph, especially with a load on it. Good way to shorten the life of the transmission. I believe that info is in the owners manual as well.

5. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

Thank you all,

The problem is still there when overdrive is off. And i never got a owners manual with the truck. By the way iam not sure but what is the warranty on a 99 diesel dodge ram, i am sure its expired but curious.

Thanks Jason

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Aren't they supposed to have a 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty. It should still be under warranty if it only has 45,000 miles on it.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It sounds like you bought this truck used? It is possible that the warranty only covers the original owner. You have to find out about it.

8. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

No it is transferable to the new owner. I called and it has a 60 month warranty on the engine not drivetrain. I bought the truck from my friend. 25K miles, monroe dump, fold down contractor sides, 4X4, fleet maintained bi weekley for $19,000.

Thank you guys
    Jason

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sounds like your overdrive switch is not working.
    With the overdrive locked out it should not see a reduction in RPM'S as though it were shifting.
    35-40 MPH is usually where the tranny's are set up to kick down into overdrive.
    Never, never drive it in overdrive while hauling a load or plowing, slow down if neccessary to keep from running too consistently above 2300 rpm.
    Running under load in overdrive without keeping the RPM's above 1500 rpm MINIMUM, will destroy your transmission in a hurry.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I think that fluctuation in rpm is your torque converter locking and unlocking.
    If you go to the turbodieselregister.com like David said look for information on a "noise filter" as electrical noise can interfere with the feed to the lockup clutch.
    The torque converter locks in 3rd when overdrive is turned off and 4th otherwise so the fact that you have the problem in both settings would suggest that it's the lock-up. I wouldn't worry too much---your tranny should be fine.