D.o.t Numbers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kleankutslawn, Apr 4, 2008.

1. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I see some trucks have dot nubers on them,just curious,what is this for and when do you need to have it?
  2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

i think its gross vehicle weight over 10k lbs must be registered with the DoT and given a number. If i'm wrong, one of the bigger outfits will come school us both shortly.
  3. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks.i was just wondering.i have a F250 x cab and 20 ft enclosed and was trying to see if i needed it.
  4. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

You can bet that any "Consumer" automobile does not require DoT numbers.
  5. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

GCWR over 10,001. rating of your truck and trailer combined.
  6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats right. I was just pulled over about 2 weeks ago by a DOT inspector and slapped with almost $1000 in fines.

kleankut, your truck and trailer alone would be well over 10,001.

Getting a DOT #is free. You can put it on yourself. The only thing that costs is getting a medical card.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Just curious but how do you know his truck and trailer will be over 10000 pounds? Our truck and 6X12 with 2 ZTR mowers is not over 10000 pounds.
  8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

In Illinois, if the Gross Combined Weight Rating is over 10,001 pounds and you are crossing state lines being over that weight, you need a DOT number. Otherwise, your good to go.
  9. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

What were you fined for? Was it for not having #'s?
  10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

It doesn't matter what yours weighs. What counts is what it is rated for. Most 2500/F250s will be rated for 8000+. Your trailer will be rated for 5000 or more. Bingo!! 13K+ combined weight rating. Cross the stateline and the 10,001 rule comes in. Some states also get you for over 18K intrastate. That is only an 3500/F350 and most 6X16 open landscape trailers. 11000+ truck GVWR and 7000 GVWR trailer.