D or E rated tire?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcwlandscaping, Mar 23, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

At some point, and im not sure when im going to do it, i am going to be putting new tires on my truck as these are gonna be sketchy about passing inspection. Anyway, my question is, do i really need load range E tires on my truck? As of now, i am only pulling my WB around, but also will be towing a dump trailer this year as well, and posibly having loads of something (mulch, soil etc.) in the bed of my truck. The reason i'm asking is because i would like to put 285's on the truck and BFGoodrich is the only company that makes E rated 285's at this point in time that i know of. If E rating was a must or strongly suggested ide get the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A. But if it really isn't required, then ide probably look into the General brand version of that tire as it was suggested in another post on the site and after i looked at it, it seems to be a pretty good tire!!!

I have no problem dealing with a tougher ride due to E rated tires, but just looking for suggestions!!

thanks guys
    -mike-

2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I went with e rated on all my trucks, better to have too much than not enough when it comes to load capacity

3. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

Get some goodyear workhorses, they don't make them in a 285 but they sure are a heavy tire.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

It says right on your door sticker that you are supposed to have E rated tires. The E rated tires will give you the proper wear, gas mileage, and most of all the proper traction and weight carrying capacity. My truck has C's on it( I bought it used with them on there) and they SUCK!!!!! I will for sure be putting E's on my truck, but maybe just 265's to save a little cashola!!

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The Toyo M-55 Traction tire comes in a 285/75R16 size and E rated. The tire will be expensive but the M-55 is a good tire. I have Toyo M-55s on the back of my 95 F-450 the have good traction.

The 285 E rated tire has a load rating of 3740lbs a D rated tire 3305lbs. Keep in mind a D rated tire has lighter sidewalls so they are not as tough.

You can run a E rated tire at 65-70 psi and still have enough tire capacity with a D rated rubber you have to keep the tires at max psi to get the load capacity. A D rated tire at max 65 psi won't ride as good as a E rated tire at the same pressure.

6. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I got 265/75 R16 e-rated A/T tires at pep boys for $125 each, plus they have the buy one get one free thing. That was a heck of a deal and so far I'm impressed. Plus they have the road hazard warranty and such so you're covered. There was a company that sold the BFG's on ebay and they were considerably cheaper than the costco wholesale here. I dunno if them guys still sell on there.

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what size truck you have i own all half ton trucks and found that over the years that i have been wasting money on e rated tires on a half ton. A C rating is plenty for a half ton although i have D rared tires on now, if i was to load the truck at the rate that the tires say i can my truck would break first, remember if i loaded my half ton with 6,610 pounds (back two tires combined) i think something would break before the tires blew out, anyway find a good dealer that knows what they are talking about before you get bigger is better.

8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Go with the "D" Rated tire if you want, I have 285/75/R16 Goodyear MT/R's "D Rated" on my Silverado and I have put 4,000 Pounds on the bed and most of the time i have more then a 2,000 pounds on the bed in the summer. I have never had a problem with the tire's, But you do have to have it at 65psi.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys for all the insight, ive got some thinking to do, but plenty of time to do it!!

-mike-

10. git-r-done

git-r-done LawnSite Member

general grabber awsome tire , you wont be disapointed!