1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

D#*%$ Wind!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brother1, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Brother1

Brother1 LawnSite Member

Hey all - just wondering what all you guys do on a day like this. We're getting 30 - 50 mph winds here in NY and called it a day after trying to do cleanups this morning. The weather the past month has been terrible here (rain, frozen leaves, wind, ect.) and now we're starting to get behind. Do you guys just send the crews home and call it a day?? Hoping that things get better by Saturday into next week so we can have a few days in a row and try to knock some of this work out. So much for trying to take a few days off next week and get in the woods to do some hunting. Guess the deer will have to wait another week or so.
  2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Go play some golf !!!! That would really interesting....
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Doing firewood today.
  4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Heh heh heh, sometimes a little bit of wind helps cleanup, but at other times it can be a nightmare. I hate it when I'm on the leeward side of a building or an area where the wind circulates around and around. More than once I've taken great pride in rounding up all the leaves but then some demons breath picks them all up and distributes them right back where they originally were. To say the least, I've given some little ol' ladies at the retirement home some excitement as I danced around chasing leaves and vehemently cursed the wind, not to mention throwing the leaf rake down and kicking the blower!

doctor bruce logo.jpg
  5. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I am not touching a BLOWER today, just gonna clean some trucks and work on some plow stuff and:sleeping:
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I cut a few today in 30MPH winds. Talk about easy blowing! Took me about 5 minutes to blow what usually takes me a little over 10. Very dusty cutting, but using the wind to your advantage to blow when you can really is fast. Poor neighbors.
  7. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

There is a tree next to my driveway that splits out into 2 trunks about 3 feet from the ground. One side fell on my truck and the other on the neighbors garage. I HATE THE WIND!
  8. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

At least no one was hurt!!! Look at it this way, I wish a tree would fall on my truck. That would have saved the conversation with my wife last week about buying a 2004 F-250 PowerStroke.

Went over like a turd in a punch bowl..

Hope all is well....
  9. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

39-45mph winds up here. I've been running around taking fallen branches from peoples yards. Had to treat myself to some hot chocolate this afternoon. Boy was it a bit nippy out. :)

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I don' know about the rest of ya but i'm praying for some storm clean up and yes i hate the wind too but when it stops i know i'm going to have a lot of leaf jobs