dad doesn't like the idea now

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by challenger55, Jul 4, 2003.

1. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

hey guys i am 14 and have about 18 yards now and i will be paying tax this year

i have been talking to my dad about getting a hydro he doesn't like the idea right now i told him it will be twice as fast and twice as big and i told him that it would be easier on me and i have more time to do other things

i can't mow all the yards with it but i figure it would save about 4 hours

i have the money to pay cash for it

and the mower i use now is a honda 21in hrc215

what do you think about this

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I don't mean to be rude but you left out one detail what type of hydro is it going to be a walk or a rider

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had the same problem at your age..I would just sit down to him and explain to him the good and also the bad.

Your dad probably doesn't look at the lawn care industry as a very secure future or something that you will not stick with, that is why he probably wants you to spend your money some place else. Just explain to him that you understand this and that running a lawn care industry takes great responsibility and builts character for the future. And tell him that even if you don't stick with it, it will be a great learning experience for your future ahead.

4. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

When I was your age I used Dad's Simplicity tractor to mow my lawns. It was getting tired and I needed to get a new tractor. I told Dad what I wanted was a Cub cadet tractor and I had the money for it in my checking account. He said Ok and let me buy it. Still have it too, 35 yrs later. It's out in the garage, but not used for mowing anymore.
    Just lay all the numbers out for your Dad explaining why you need to get a new machine and I'm sure he'll go along with it. Maybe show him this thread. Good luck.

5. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

i want the walkbehind hydro

my dad does like the business and wants me to expand but he thinks about how long i will be able to pay the hydro back and start making a profit i told him that this will deduct tax and i am going to get one anyway and way should i wait when i can get one now

6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Challenger i think STAN1366 answered your question show your dad all the pros and then show him that you can do it and my mower choice would be an eXmark if you can afford it go for the regular turf tracer but if you don't have that much cash the hp model would do just fine but that's just what i would buy and i'm sure the others will tell you this too DEMO every machine you are thinking of buying thats the only way you will find out what suits you best good luck in the biz and in your mower search

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It sounds Like You will have Your first Lazer EPS Buy the Time Your 16, Not Bad.
    happy 4TH
    John

8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet you save more than 4 hrs. on those accounts. Just wait until you get the hydro on there & get the yards "wired" with it. Your productivity is going to go through the roof!!!!

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

14 yards? You don't need another mower you need more accounts. Then get the mower. MHO

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

GET THE MOWER!!! I'm 29 now but started young.

One of my regrets is all the money left on the table at first using the wrong equipt.

Sounds like you need the tax write-off.

Plus, if you are buying new (and you should for warranty) show dad the prices fetched by well-kept used equipt, meaning you can get out of it without getting creamed like on a new car or Nintendo, etc.

Plus tell him if you exit the business you can use the equipment to help pay for college, and you will need faster equipt so you can spend more time studying and less time mowing.

As a compromise you could get a 36" belt drive with or without velke, will speed you up without busting the budget.

Ken