daddy-long-legs in bushes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by liquidforcedude7, Aug 10, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Today I was out triming the bushes around my house and I came up to one bush to see that it was covered in like thousands of grandady-long-legs like it almost looked like the bush was moving. has anybody else run into something like this and if soo how did you get rid of them??

2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

get you some sevin dust, follow the label directions carefully. They will die.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

They don't eat the plants,might be eating bad bugs on the bushes,I say leave them alone and they will go away when their food soarse is gone.

4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

This is what they refer to as a "Beneficial Insect". Leave them alone. They can't hurt the plants, they can't hurt you or any pet you might have. They are predatory insects that feed on other insects. An abundance of preying mantis would be better, but these will do.

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a picture? There are two insects commonly called daddy-long-legs. One is a spider, with multiple body sections, that feeds on bad bugs and can't hurt your plant or you. The other is an insect with more of a single body with eight legs that eats decomposing material and helps it break down into humus. If they really bother you, spray them out of the bush with a stream of water from the hose. Neither one is considered a pest or hazardous.

Kirk

6. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

it is the second one you are talking about I mean I know they cant hurt anything but just they like swarm all over you if you try to trim the bushes.

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If they bug you, just take the hose to them and they will find a new place to live. You will do more harm to yourself, your plants and your family with the chemicals than the insects will.

Kirk

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

He is not licensed to apply pesticides!

9. start2finish

I beg to differ. I am licensed in NC for Aquatics, Turf and ornamentals and right of way maintainance. I told him to follow the label carefully.

That comment was tongue-in-cheek, but if will not hurt a thing to spray or dust for insects. I respect the organic method and not using pesticides, but we run a landscaping co. and a farm and without pesticides on the farm we would go broke. I mean why do you think they invented "round-up ready" corn and soybeans, for the organic grower, ROFLMAO. Just because I respect the opinion I do not agree with it. We implement IRP {intergrated pest management} with our application. If there is a cheaper way that is still legal and "safe" other that insecticide/herbicide, we will use it before chemicals.

10. start2finish

He said it was at his house, what state requires a homeowner to have a license to apply non restricted chemicals to his own property. That is if you were refering to him not being licensed.