Dads broke! Can I use you mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Moe Fish, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

Lady beside me. Her father has a lawn care co and takes care of her yard (not very well I might add) well it seems his old Grasshopper got into the bug spray and when belly up. He does not want to buy a new (another used mower) till next year so she comes over and hints to the wife about her&him using my new Kubota BX.
    Don't get me wrong they are nice people and all but he would **** hit pants if I asked to use his mower to do my yard for free and fall over dead if I took it to make money.
    Boy some people have nerve or am I just being a ass for thinking this way?

The wife told her that I would devorce her if she loaned out my tractor but I might do her yard for her

OK here is the kicker her son just had open heart and I know money is tight it has to be. But on the other hand I know her dad would mostlikely charge my wife to do my yard if she or I could not do it. we are talking a 1.5 ac yard here.

I have a good idea what I will do but want to see what you guys think
  2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

See if he will just let you finish up his accounts for this year... for a reasonable fee. If you have an older mower maybe let him use that.

I mean, help if you can, but it is not your problem.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

all the personal ties aside, and issues.. what size mower is he looking for? if he's in the business, he can't afford a used machine, even if its only temporary? i bought a used 48 WB for a few bills..
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What about liability? He hurts himself or someone else does it come back on you? Don't risk it. Tell them the truth that you need it to feed your family and if he needs some cash right now that you'll buy his conatracted accounts for a reasonable price and he can decide wha to do latter.
  5. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

My wife is now telling me I missunderstood (but I don't think so)
    The ladies x hubby is in town because of the kids heart problem and he wanted to use it to do her yard. I still say no but have not said what I will most likely do and that is give it a once over when I do my yard. but a fast mow and go only no triming ect.
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Tell them to get in line with their hard luck stories :rolleyes:
  7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I would say "F.T." (you figure that one out)!
  8. MowforMoney

MowforMoney LawnSite Member

You just can't do it. Sure you could mow their lawn for them or help out. But you can't let them use their mower. If he can't afford to buy a new mower then what is going to happen if he brakes somthing on yours, or worst he breaks somthing of sombody elses. Window, runs somthing over who knows you are just asking for trouble. I know you just wanna be nice and I gotta say I can't blame you but your just asking for trouble. Maybe help out another way mow some of his yards or somthin I dunno but he can't be using your stuff. Especially if you know he woudln't do the same for you, its not like its your best friend or somthin.
  9. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

I told my wife she could word it anyway she wanted but "no"
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Can I borrow your mower?
    sure you can borrow my mower, I charge $60 per hour.

How much if you mow?
    $60 per hour.

never steal a man's tools, never lend out your tools. If you break it, it is your fault and you know you will fix it. If someone else breaks it, you know you are SOL.