daewoo skidsteer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by DAVELAWN, Jun 16, 2005.

1. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

What do you think of them? What have you gotten in prices from your local dealer?

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

There aren't enough Daewoo in my area for me to say anything concrete... their older 1760XL was alost a repainted 1845C -- similar loader towers and chassis, but still different. I'm not certain what the fate of Hyundai and Daewoo are, but I wouldn't expect a very high resale value or superb operating econolics.

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Junk... :)

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if I would call them junk, but it is a relatively cheap, no frills machine. There is a dealer here on LI that sells a lot of them, so I see a lot of them around, from landscapers to masons to tree services running them. A friend of mine has the 802, and lent it to me for 2 days, we ran it almost 20 hours in 2 days, it did very well.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Hyundai is now using Thomas skid steers. As far as the older Daewoo machines being a repainted 1845C that doesn't surpise me. At ConExpo CASE had a 95XT cut apart so you could see the internal workings of the machine. There were countless non English speaking people with rulers taking photographs. It surprised me that they brought that machine to ConExpo. There also was a Chinese company that was trying to break into the North American market. They were selling an excavator that was a direct copy of a C series Cat excavator. From a distance you would swear it was a CAT. They are experts at reverse engineering.

6. bling_2k4

bling_2k4 LawnSite Member

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Those Cougar units aren't a steal in price by any means. I converted $35,000 Austrailian currency for the 4500 and it has a 45 HP engine, not a large machine by any means and it turns out at $27,000 US. That's nuts. I can buy a loaded Cat 216 for $20,000.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a daewoo skid steer on a regular basis......they are impossible to see out of...drive like an old tank...but per the dealer and past experience they reckon they are 6000hr machines easily. I wouldnt buy one because of the orange paint job.

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Yeah, Hyundai and Kubota EUROPE are both using Thomas now... very impressive for a rather small Canadian company. Bravo to them.

I didn't mean that the Daewoo 1760XL was a repainted 1845 -- it just looks like one. Bit, beefy rear towers shaped very much the same... yup. Daewoo's vertical lift machines seemed nice, however -- perhaps not the strongest in the market, but definitely not directly resembling anything on the market. Thomas' 205 skid actually looks something like the Daewoo, curiously.

Anyhow, yeah, Daewoo's probably won't be shoddy machines, but you might be able to get better.