Daihatsu 26.5 hp problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mtncur, Jun 26, 2005.

1. mtncur

mtncur LawnSite Member

First off, thanks for access to this wonderful resource for lawncare professionals. Secondly, I have a 72" Dixon (model 8026D) equipped with a 26.5 hp diesel Daihatsu engine. The mower has only 100 hours and yesterday I started experiencing a problem of the engine cutting out and losing power at high rpms. The manual mentions the potential of a clogged fuel filter. My local dealers don't stock the filter so I've had to order. In the meantime, I'm worried to death that this isn't the problem. Does this sound realistic to you professionals? After turning the engine off and restarting it works ok again for a few minutes (until heavy grass). Additionally, the filter is around $40 for a replacement. It is a spin on filter with a water-in-fuel monitor screwed into the bottom. Do any owners of these engines know of a replacement filter that could be used even if it doesn't have the water in fuel switch. I can't get the part till late next week and I really need this mower back in service. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Anytime you have a loss of power in a diesel engine, the first thing you check is the flow of fuel to the injection pump. Said that, if you dealer does not have a filter, if you remove the filter you can take it to an autoparts store and they can cross reference it. There are only 3-4 manufacturers of filters in the country, and, every one of them makes a certain brand for that company. So, try that first. Also check to see if there is a sock on the pick up tube in the fuel tank. Those can also clog. Last, check for water in the fuel. If you got water, there is the issue.

After you run down the fuel issues, if it is still doing what you say, time to check fuel pump pressures.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You want to keep the water sensor. If you get water in the fuel, its going to ruin your injection pump and injectors.

I had to replace the entire fuel system (sans fuel lines) on a Duetz due to this.

4. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

If factory filters are a problem to get because of time etc. another option is to add an extra filter ahead of it, that way you get longer life from the factory one. Do some research and find a quality aftermarker fuel filter that you can add to the system. Fuel filters and air filters are the main reason for loss of power in a diesel.

5. mtncur

mtncur LawnSite Member

Another thing I just noticed is that there is a hand (primer) pump located above the fuel filter housing. I tried to pump this once the "cutting out" began and it was already "sucked" to the base. The hand pump normally operates in the normal position and can be pumped at any time even while the engine is running. This lead me to check the fuel tank vents. They were both open. Maybe this is a sign that the filter is clogged. The reason it operates normally after shutting the engine off is the dirt clogging the filter becomes loose with the engine off and it takes a little while for the filter to clog again and begin "starving" the engine of fuel. Thoughts??

6. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

Does the hand pump remain 'sucked down' after it's been off for a while, or does it slowly return to normal? It sounds like there may be a suction forming, but the thing is to find out the reason. Your idea about the filter is a good one. Another idea might be the pump is moving and shouldn't be.....maybe the internals aren't correct, and it 'blocks' the fuel somehow. You could try running it to get the vacuum built up, then loosen the line a little both before and after the filter to see what happens, if it's the filter, there should be suction after it, but not before it. Order 2 or 3 fuel filters and carry your own inventory if you have too in future, I do this with my mini ex air filters, they seem to be harder to get than the fuel filter for it. Another thing that I do, my local International truck dealer is where I get most of my filters, dealer is over an hour away, Int. is 15 minutes, I just call and tell them the number, this particular one (don't know if they all are) carries Fleetguard filters, and I happened to get the Fleetguard numbers for my filters, saves a lot of driving time. I still support my dealer for all the other stuff, and he knows it's a distance for me to drive to just get a filter or two, he actually gave me the cross reference numbers.

7. mtncur

mtncur LawnSite Member

The pump slowly returns to normal position. It returns slowly enough that I can try the checks before and after the pump like you recommended. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.