daihatsu 31 hp diesel rear main seal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by quinn, Jun 24, 2008.

1. quinn

quinn LawnSite Member

Can you replace the rear main seal by pulling the flywheel, or do you have to do it internally. any information would be helpfull. Thanks

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have the turbo-diesel of the 31hp daihatsu . Mine leak was fixed at the dealer, and I'm pretty sure they told me that they just took off the fly wheel.

3. quinn

quinn LawnSite Member

Thanks Bob,
    The one I am working on is a turbo diesel also, before you post I had already taken the flywheel off and that is where it is, except that is not
    where the leak was, it was above that at the cam, there is a plastic cap there that seals it off, why it would become loose I dont know, there may be some other problem I dont know of. possibly crankcase pressure should seal it , I guess I will have to by a book on it.

4. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Mine leaked too, I thought it was the rear main, but it wasn't. It was the cam shaft inspection cap that your talking about. There was a recall on those for that reason. After I removed the clutch, flywheel, and starter plate, I sealed it with thread sealer and DUCT TAPE. 2,000 hours later, still no leaks.

5. quinn

quinn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.