1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Daihatsu Diesel Engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, May 19, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm already thinking about a new purchase next year. I've got my eye on the Lazer 72" with the Daihatsu diesel engine. I've never really heard of this engine and haven't read any feedback about it. How about telling me something.
  2. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

i do know that Daihatsu makes vehicles. They were here in the states for a few years and left. Also I believe Toyota has a stake in the company as well. Have been seeing them offered on more and more mowers as of lately. Let us know what you find out.
  3. Shumdit

Shumdit LawnSite Member

I can not really help with the engines features or reliability, but this might be something to keep in mind:
    The local Exmark dealer and the local Walker dealer (which has a diesel Kubota offered) both told me that in case of any repairs or adjustments outside of normal service (oil changes, filters) they would have to transport the mower to a diesel mechanic. The Walker dealer had an agreement with the local Kubota dealer, but the Exmark dealer did not know how or who would do repairs on the Daihatsu engine. They did say they could handle repairs on the Daihatsu Gas engine though. Just something to think about. I ended up with the Kubota ZD21 because I wanted a diesel and I wanted a dealer who could and would handle any problems with any aspect of the mower in-house.
  4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We have three Scags with the 31hp turbo B&S/Daihatsu engine. It is the same as the Exmark's, but with a turbo. We've put about 200hrs on each with no problems. So far they have been strong motors. Diesels will last much longer than gas motors as long as they are well maintained.
  5. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

The 27hp is underpowered.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have heard from many people that this is the case with the 27hp Diesel on the 72" Lazer XP.

While I have never driven a Diesel XP, I have driven a 31hp Gas XP, and was quite impressed, though I really think that they will be thirsty being gas powered. With all the weight that comes along with a cast Iron block/heads on these motors, I feel it isn't worth it. Maybe they should offer the turboed version. I still cant understand the hydro powered cooling fan. My LC Lazer has an electric fan and has no problem whatsoever keeping cool (It NEVER fluctuates). I just cant understand the need for a hydraulic powered cooling fan?

I feel that Exmark SHOULD have considered Yanmar for their Diesel powered mowers, and gone with at least 30hp for the 72" decks.

I still think Yanmar should improve on their V-Twin Diesel and offer it in higher HP versions. Nice and compact, much lighter, etc.

Here's hoping!
  7. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

I own a 2001 31hp. 60" Lazer XP, I love it. The Dihatsu engines are imported and supported through Briggs & stratton. Any B&S dealer can order parts but not all are qualified to work on them. So far no problems.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You could mow up a 30 degree hill at 6 MPH through 3-foot tall grass!

I drove a Gravely 272Z diesel today. The engine is a beast, nice to hear that turbo whistle!

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

In my opinion the best diesel for a mower is the Kubota. These engines run forever and are very dependable. Of course, to get one on a midmount you will have to buy a Grasshopper. I have two Grasshopper midmounts with Kubota engines. I tried the Exmark/ Daihatsu and the Dixie Chopper/Yanmar and the Bobcat/ Yanmar. None of the others can hold a candle to the Kubota- powered Grasshopper.:)
  10. Shumdit

Shumdit LawnSite Member

Is the Kubota ZD18/ ZD21 /ZD28 not a mid mount ZTR??