Daihatsu Diesel

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by bob, May 18, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm already thinking about a new purchase next year. I've got my eye on the Lazer 72" with the Daihatsu engine. I've never really heard of this engine and haven't read any feedback about it. How about telling me something.

2. oak-knoll-farm

oak-knoll-farm LawnSite Member

Bob,

I've owned a Lazer Z XP with the 27-hp Daihatsu diesel (w/72" deck) for just about a year now. I am not a commercial user, but I have put nearly 200 hrs on the engine. I have never had any engine problems. When I use it, I often run it at full throttle for 5-7 hours at a time, so it gets a real workout.

Here's what I have had problem with was the small hydraulic pump that provided juce to the hydraulic powered cooling fan for the radiator. Evidently since this is a separate system that shares the hydraulic reservoir with the big pumps for the drive wheels, it doesn't share well and was starving the fan motor pump under load. I have also had problems with the electromagnetic PTO clutch and a belt snapping. Again, the Daihatsu diesel engine has worked very well.

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, No Prob! What ya want me to tell ya? Just joking around! lol :)

4. Vibe Ray

something

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Oak-Knoll-Farm,

Very good evaluation. We've seen some of these issues as well. Call you dealer and have him look at Exmark Service Bulletin 2-20 and he should be able to resolve any problems we've seen with the XP and the Diahatsu engine if he has not already.

The Diahatsu engine has been around in other industries for some time and has a very good reputation for reliability, power and ironically fuel efficiency. We have not heard very many negatives about the engine thus far.

Thanks

Terry

6. Jeffsmowing

Jeffsmowing LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Took one out last year on a Demo, had the desil one 72", it was a beast of a machine, want one for my self but 72" is too big, probaly going to go for a 60" fuel injected one

7. MJ LANDSCAPING

MJ LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

:blob3: :blob3: I AM A EXMARK FAN. I RUN ONLY EXMARK THEY ARE GREAT MACHINES. LAST YEAR I BOUGHT AN EFI LAZER 60" AND I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE POWER IT HAD COMPARED TO MY CARB. ONE. THIS SPRING I NEEDED ANOTHER MACHINE SO I PURCHASED THE XP DIESEL 60". LET ME TELL YOU I WAS VERY SURPRISED FOR A DIESEL HOW QUITE IT IS. ITS ALOT FASTER THAN MY EFI AND IT HAS A EXCELLENT CUT AS WELL. I ONLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE MULE DRIVE BELTS SNAPPING AROUND 40-50 HOURS. I RETURNED THE XP TO MY DEALER AND THEY CORRECTED THE PROBLEM WITH THE HELP FROM EXMARK, BY INSTALLING GUIDES SO THE BELTS DONT JUMP OFF. SO FAR SO GOOD. JUST THE SOUND OF THAT ENGINE IS AWESOME. I LOVE THAT MACHINE. THEY SAY THAT IT WILL RUN FOR 5000 HOURS, AND TO ME THAT IS ALOT OF MACHINE FOR THE MONEY. MY GAS LAZERS GET ABOUT 2500-3000 HOURS BEFORE I HAD TO PUT A NEW ENGINE ON ONE. I OWN A SLOPPY DIXIE CHOPPER 42" FOR MY BACKYARDS. I HATE IT. I JUST TOLD MY DEALER TO ORDER A LAZER HP 44" TO REPLACE IT. I AM SURE I WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT.
    2 LAZER 60" 25HP
    1 LAZER EFI 60"
    1 LAZER XP DIESEL 60"
    1 LAZER HP 44"
    2 METRO HP 36"

8. Vibe Ray

If you are not happy w/ it, I would be happy to take it from you! What Kinda Dixie Chopper ya got?